Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Xe Graphics' Incredible Performance Uplift From OpenCL To oneAPI Level Zero To Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gukin View Post
    Hmm, a NUC with one of these chips can out run my 2400g, I look forward to seeing AMDs APU response. If AMD won't sell APUs to enthusiasts it sure looks like Intel will.
    Right now AMD needs software support for both iGPU’s and dGPU’s. Without such they don’t really compete in many tasks here. The good thing is lots of hiring happening at AMD so we can hope for change

Comment

Michael

There is really a problem with the benchmarks on Phoronix.
      It's never really a pleasure the read them, too many pages, too raw presentation, no dynamic visuals...

What about a graph with on top a series of comboboxes so we can filter multiple things, and removing the need to parse 15 pages ?

On a positive note, thanks for these, it's interesting to see on the last page how they compare with other brands.

Comment

Xe is a winner, this GPU looks really strong. And I think there is more to come in the upcoming months with a more robust and optimized driver/software side.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
          Hmm, a NUC with one of these chips can out run my 2400g, I look forward to seeing AMDs APU response. If AMD won't sell APUs to enthusiasts it sure looks like Intel will.
          Unfortunately for desktops while they are going to use an Xe based architecture iGPU, the number of EUs will be cut down from 96EUs to 32.

Comment

Originally posted by mikkl View Post
            Xe is a winner, this GPU looks really strong. And I think there is more to come in the upcoming months with a more robust and optimized driver/software side.
            Yes, Xe does look good. But soon we will see just how good AMD's RDNA2 arhcitecture is, that will power their new discrete GPUs, plus the new Xbox and Playstations. Xe is being compared to AMD's 3-4 year old Vega architecture (albeit improved, but still). Next year, AMD should have an easy win by replacing long in the tooth Vega with Navi based graphics.

Comment

Xe is only slightly ahead of Renoir/Vega right now, and I expect they'll fall behind again once the next gen cpus launch next year.

However, congrats to Intel on finally competing with their iGPUs. That's important because software devs can start relying on this as the new baseline GPU performance everyone will have in a few years.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 24 October 2020, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Michael The title "oneAPI Level Zero Tests - Test: Host-To-Device Bandwidth" appears twice.
                Last edited by knweiss; 24 October 2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Xe is only slightly ahead of Renoir/Vega right now, and I expect they'll fall behind again once the next gen cpus launch next year.

However, congrats to Intel on finally competing with their iGPUs. That's important because software devs can start relying on this as the new baseline GPU performance everyone will have in a few years.

Xe is a lot better than Vega, even the 80 EUs version of Xe LP at 1300 Mhz easily beats Vega 8 running at 1750 Mhz. Vega in Renoir runs much higher clocked and loses. Another factor is that Vega has been optimized and tweaked for years and Xe is fresh new which means Xe has a disadvantage at the moment which will disappear more and more in the upcoming months.

Comment

I'm not surprised the Xe drivers worked well during this test. I mean, when I click through commits at
                    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux.../i915?h=v5.9.1
                    I can read plausible, concise comments on what was changed and why, and the code changes seem to reflect the stated intent, even on a superficial glance by the non-involved.
                    Quite in contrast to this, when I click through commits at
                    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...m/amd?h=v5.9.1
                    the comments there are mostly terse half-sentences devoid of essential information, and the code changes look incomprehensible and often like random attempts on doing something unexplained.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                      Michael

There is really a problem with the benchmarks on Phoronix.
                      It's never really a pleasure the read them, too many pages, too raw presentation, no dynamic visuals...

What about a graph with on top a series of comboboxes so we can filter multiple things, and removing the need to parse 15 pages ?

On a positive note, thanks for these, it's interesting to see on the last page how they compare with other brands.
                      Pay for Premium. You'll actually get some of those features.

The less-that-pleasant presentation is a way to nag people to buy premium. The joke's on him. I'm dyslexic so I prefer smaller chunks of information separated by multiple pages and I don't like webpages where I sing to myself:

Scrollin', scrollin', scrollin'
                      Keep them bargraphs scrollin'
                      Damn my finger's swollen
                      Rawhide!

Comment

Working...
                      X