Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Adds Vulkan Transform Feedback For Aging Haswell Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Adds Vulkan Transform Feedback For Aging Haswell Graphics

Due to DXVK recently beginning to require Vulkan Transform Feedback (VK_EXT_transform_feedback) for this Direct3D translation layer popular with Linux gamers, Intel open-source developers have gone back and now implemented transform feedback support in the Intel "ANV" driver for Haswell era "Gen 7" graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As someone with 2 computers running Haswell generation Intel Processors, I'm very thankful for this support.

I have no plans to get updated hardware for a good while yet, mainly because once I do I'll have to replace most of the components in these systems (updated cpu requires updated mobo, ram, case, power supply, etc). I'll basically be replacing everything but the gfx and the storage at minimum. That probably won't be until one or more of those components bites the dust.

Hopefully the next system(s) I get (whenever I get them) will last as long as these have.

Comment

+1 thank you from another occasional Haswell laptop iGPU gamer for keeping my HW relevant!

Comment

Yes this is great. Most of my personal computers date back to the Haswell era or even older, and even for gaming while storage and GPU are perfectly up to date these hosts are perfectly fine. So I see no point to update them as of now at least for the coming two years.

Comment

I don't have my Haswell anymore but I appreciate the effort, thanks Jason!

Comment

Iris on Haswell when? Asking for Gallium9 purposes

Comment

My "Ageing Haswell" laptop has served me well for 6 years. The built in battery has lost 25% of its capacity, so it is on a timer ...
              The fact that there was little progress in single threaded performance, makes this laptop still competitive.
              It still beats my shiny new Ryzen 3700x desktop in some tasks...

I really appreciate the quality display drivers that Intel is providing.

Comment

The Iris Pro 5200 is still okay-ish for older titles. Too bad it's mainly found in Clevo W740SU models, like the System76 Galago UltraPro, that don't boot since kernel 5.7.x, and they aren't the only Haswell systems affected.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
                  The Iris Pro 5200 is still okay-ish for older titles. Too bad it's mainly found in Clevo W740SU models, like the System76 Galago UltraPro, that don't boot since kernel 5.7.x, and they aren't the only Haswell systems affected.
                  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256520
                  Why no one did bisect for four months? I see you guys found workaround (that also cause higher power consumption) and happy about it, but bug is still there and it's still not fixed. What are you going to do, compile your own kernel for years, and the hope that someone else will fill bugreport for you?

I understand that doing bisect is such a chore, but if owners of affected hardware is not interested in finding root cause and filling bugreport, I am afraid no one interested. Oh, yeah, you could also ping System76 tech. support, is anyone at least sent them e-mail about this? My guess the answer is "no" - why so?

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
                    As someone with 2 computers running Haswell generation Intel Processors, I'm very thankful for this support.

I have no plans to get updated hardware for a good while yet, mainly because once I do I'll have to replace most of the components in these systems (updated cpu requires updated mobo, ram, case, power supply, etc). I'll basically be replacing everything but the gfx and the storage at minimum. That probably won't be until one or more of those components bites the dust.

Hopefully the next system(s) I get (whenever I get them) will last as long as these have.
                    I'm in the same boat. With AMD's AM4 getting long-in-tooth and AM5 being on the horizon this is a horrible time to need new hardware if you're operating on a budget and trying to plan long term. Intel is almost never a good long-term option unless we're talking about just sitting on a system for years and years on end. With AMD we get multiple generations on the same socket so all of our hardware can go from system to system and we can upgrade as necessary whereas Intel damn-near requires a new socket with every-other CPU release and that shit gets old. It'd be nice if the most I had to do was swap components from one motherboard to another, but NoOoOo, y'all gotta come out with a new MF-GD socket so what should be a $140 upgrade for Gen 29 PCIE now runs $450.

So, yeah, I too have a pile of drives and a GFX card waiting for a new home.

Comment

Working...
                    X