No announcement yet.

Intel SERIALIZE, Dropping Of SGI UV Supercomputer, i386 Clang'ing Hit Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel SERIALIZE, Dropping Of SGI UV Supercomputer, i386 Clang'ing Hit Linux 5.9

Phoronix: Intel SERIALIZE, Dropping Of SGI UV Supercomputer, i386 Clang'ing Hit Linux 5.9

A number of x86-related changes were sent out today for the first full day of the Linux 5.9 merge window...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....9-x86-Changes

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The original UV supercomputer support is eliminated but later generations of support remains.
    Mean do you what?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Mean do you what?
      UV 2, etc. Cleared up the text though to make that more clear, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

UV 2, etc. Cleared up the text though to make that more clear, thanks.
        What I mean is, it sounds a bit unusual. Shouldn't it be something like "support for later generations"?

Comment

x86/asm has changes to build the Linux x86 32-bit kernel with Clang rather than GCC, complementing the existing support for x86_64 and AArch64.
          Chalk another one up for being able to give those "It's GNU/Linux, not Linux" twits the finger.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            Chalk another one up for being able to give those "It's GNU/Linux, not Linux" twits the finger.
            Don't worry, it will all become MS/Linux soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Yeah, no thanks. Microsoft can Microsoft all they want, but even they probably don't have the clout to get humans habituated to saying that many syllables.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                You mean MS/GNU? That's more or less what WSL is.

Comment

Just realized something - compiling the Linux kernel with clang could eventually mean LTO across C and Rust, since clang and Rust both use LLVM IR.
                  AFAIK, Mozilla has been doing this on Firefox for C++ <-> Rust for a while now.
                  I guess the usefulness would depend on how Rust really ends up getting used, and on how much Rust code would rely on the C FFI.
                  (I'm not a kernel dev though. No idea if I'm missing something.)

Unrelated. Can the low tier trolls here leave and never come back?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    You mean MS/GNU? That's more or less what WSL is.
                    Technically, GNU/MS. The ordering is significant because the slash is meant to be read as "on" or "over", like 1/2 being "1 over 2" in math.

Comment

Working...
                    X