No announcement yet.

Intel Rolls Out Leadership Changes Following Last Week's 7nm Delay Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Rolls Out Leadership Changes Following Last Week's 7nm Delay Announcement

Phoronix: Intel Rolls Out Leadership Changes Following Last Week's 7nm Delay Announcement

Following last week's public disclosure that Intel is running six to twelve months behind on their 7nm production, Intel this evening announced a set of leadership changes to move the company forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Raja & Jim Keller were strong imports from outside Intel.

Murthy came from Qualcomm, and I think he unfortunately brought some Qualcomm culture with him. And that's a very bad thing.

Getting rid of him isn't going to fix all of Intel's problems but it's a good step.

Comment

Well about 3 years late y now but maybe Intel can get it together again. Not that I care a lot, I'm perfectly happy to go AMD and might even consider an Apple ARM based solution. In the end I'd rather see Intel succeed even a tiny bit then to have to lay off half of its staff.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Well about 3 years late y now but maybe Intel can get it together again. Not that I care a lot, I'm perfectly happy to go AMD and might even consider an Apple ARM based solution. In the end I'd rather see Intel succeed even a tiny bit then to have to lay off half of its staff.
        If Intel lays off half their staff, it means someone else is filling that void and is hiring that staff.

Comment

Intel needs to shake things up, but man, seeing all these people leave has got to be depressing inside the company.

Comment

Originally posted by herman View Post
            Intel needs to shake things up, but man, seeing all these people leave has got to be depressing inside the company.
            The writing was on the wall though. AMD's Zen taking the market by storm in 2017. And intel seemingly forever stuck at 14nm. Intel's roadmap shows 14nm products all the way through 2021. AMD/TSMC is transitioning from 7nm to 5nm in 2021. My guess is intel has a rough bunch of years ahead of them...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              The writing was on the wall though. AMD's Zen taking the market by storm in 2017. And intel seemingly forever stuck at 14nm. Intel's roadmap shows 14nm products all the way through 2021. AMD/TSMC is transitioning from 7nm to 5nm in 2021. My guess is intel has a rough bunch of years ahead of them...
              The xxnm here are more of brand names than some universal metric, and Intel's 10nm roughly matches TSMC's 7nm in terms of transistor density.
              However I do agree Intel has serious problems if their separately developed 7nm is also delayed...

Comment

Disasters are the norm for Intel

Their attempt to start with a new slate with itanium was a total failure. As was their ability to make a 5G modem. Throw embedded chips onto their list of failures as well.

Luckily they are really good at iterating on their Pentium CPU.

That boat load of cash they spent on that autonomous self driving car will likely sink.

Good thing AMD and Nvidia are around to provide Intel with a plan and a vision as well as competent engineers.

​​​​​​

Comment

I lost all respect for Intel after they sided with Lady Gaga, the security vulnerabilities built into their chips' Management Engine, and the supposed back doors put in place at the behest of the NSA.

Comment

When you're big, there is this moment, where you get into the comfort zone - cash is flowing and you get the feeling that no matter what you do, cash keeps flowing. This is the moment, when you start taking it for granted and spending it on various experiments, few of which are actually profitable. But it doesn't matter - cash keeps flowing anyway, so nothing bad has happened - you just cruise on it and relax.

And then a blow happens, which takes you out of that comfort zone and you actually start to fear, that the cash may stop flowing. This is the moment where some headless chicken start to run around at the top floor of the office building.

So now it all depends on what changes have Intel done internally (or have started doing). It may be that just some heads will roll and will be replaced by new managers, which will have enough motivation for 3-5 months of trying to change things for the better, but eventually the motivation will meet the resistance of the regular people, which have gotten used to the good old way of (not) working and will not be willing to do changes. Things may improve temporarily, but in the end nothing will really improve.

I'm seeing this every day working in another big corporation, which - internally - constantly keeps trying to push for changes, but all that has changed so far were names of various teams and divisions along with names heading them, but from the level of my desk, nothing has really changed and I don't think it will until some really heavy blow occurs, at which point they'll just politely ask us to pack our stuff into boxes and show the way out of the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X