Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphical environment does not start after update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphical environment does not start after update.

Hello, first of all sorry if this is not the right place for this topic, I am new and I do not know much yet. I really have a big question and would appreciate any light on the matter.

I have Ubuntu 18.04 xfce4.14 desktop environment. I am using Compton for stationery. I have read many forums about screen tearing in videos, I really have not had such a problem, just a flickering in the windows when I redeem them, I did not like this and I decided to fix it. I assumed it was related to the graphics driver. I have integrated graphics from Intel. I followed a tutorial to update the Intel drivers as follows:

$ sudo add-apt- repository -y ppa: oibaf / graphics-drivers
    $ sudo apt update
    $ sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-intel

So far so good, I rebooted and didn't really notice any changes except when running the command:
    $ xdpyinfo | grep DRI

Shows:
    DRI2
    DRI3

Prior to the update it showed DRI2 only. Still the windows kept flickering when resizing them. Then the software update application notified me that I had new updates available from that repository and I gave them update. When it finished, without errors, I rebooted and could no longer start my graphical interface. It stayed on black screen

Starter user manager for UID 120

From there it did not happen, then I read that it was incompatibility of AMD drivers with gdm3, I managed to save my desktop following tutorials but the graphic performance was worse than before, when executing the command:

$ inxi -Fxz

In the graphic section:
    Driver: vesa (unloaded: modesetting, fbdev)
    OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 128bits)
    Version: 3.3 Mesa 20.2.0-devel (git-794334 2020-05-25 bionic-oibaf-ppa)

Before this last update it said:
    Driver: i915
    OpenGL: Redender: Mesa DRI Intel HD graphics 510 (Skylake GT1)
    Version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5

I couldn't go back by uninstalling these drivers as I read in some tutorials. Neither with the command:

$ sudo ppa-purge ppa: oibaf / graphics-drivers --auto-remov

They give me some mistake that I don't remember. Conclusion, I had to re-install to the point where I add the repository and update only xserver-xorg-video-intel.

The question is:
    Why if I don't have amdgpu graphics, ATI ..... installed nouveau and all those drivers that damaged my desktop? They have returned to me but I do not plan to update them.
    I have solved the problem of window flickering by creating a file named 10-Intel.conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with the content:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Graphics"
    Driver "Intel"
    Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    Option "TearFree" "true"
    Option "DRI" "3”
    EndSection

After this setup, the glmark2 score was 729. Before it the result was 447. Now the blinks are over, everything feels running much lighter.

Regarding the name of this file, in some forums I have seen that they are named 20-intel.conf and in others 10-intel.conf is there any difference in terms of operation? Without further thanks in advance for any help.
Working...
X