Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Preparing Platform Monitoring Technology - Hardware Telemetry With Tiger Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if this feature is always-on or if it has to be turned on by the OS...

Ugh, peaceful days are over...

Comment

Tin foil hat brigade out in force... nothing surprising there. If you don't trust the vendor/OEM why are you buying from them in the first place? That's insane.

This is a very useful feature to have not only in server farms, but also in development and desktop/laptop remote diagnostic systems. OEMs are going to eat this up because it will make their jobs in supporting their hordes of clueless users easier. Developers are going to love it because you end up with something similar to D-Trace in hardware. Makes it easier to see if you're hitting a hardware bug instead of a software one.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        Tin foil hat brigade out in force... nothing surprising there. If you don't trust the vendor/OEM why are you buying from them in the first place? That's insane.

This is a very useful feature to have not only in server farms, but also in development and desktop/laptop remote diagnostic systems. OEMs are going to eat this up because it will make their jobs in supporting their hordes of clueless users easier. Developers are going to love it because you end up with something similar to D-Trace in hardware. Makes it easier to see if you're hitting a hardware bug instead of a software one.
        Not only is this 100% correct, but it's amusing that the same people who think DRM is an evil-mind control project are screaming and moaning about "spying" for hardware features that let you know how your processor is actually operating. So today's line is that black-boxes are great because reasons. It's like claiming Linux is clearly spyware because ANYBODY can see the code your system is executing.

Then again, 2 years from now when AMD starts using this framework the same people will claim it's a miracle of innovation that was single-handedly invented out of thin air by Lisa Su herself to save all of humanity. So ignorance and bigotry are sadly still going strong.

Comment

Tin foil hat brigade out in force... nothing surprising there.
          Low IQ I-trust-authority-because-I'm-too-dumb-to-form-an-original-thought guy, checking in...

Comment

If you don't trust the vendor/OEM why are you buying from them in the first place?
            There are only 2 companies that make acceptable CPU's, don't act like we have a choice.

Comment

Tin foil hat brigade out in force... nothing surprising there.
              They read "intel" and "telemetry", and then proceeded to shut off their critical thinking.

It's pretty sad that people who ostensibly are interested in technology believe that increasing system introspection is some form of spying.

Comment

From the description, it just seems like a better, more discoverable and easier to setup version of lm-sensors (or at least the kernel side).

The word "telemetry" is badly chosen to describe the feature.
                The marketing guys screwed, but the feature looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                  Then again, 2 years from now when AMD starts using this framework the same people will claim it's a miracle of innovation that was single-handedly invented out of thin air by Lisa Su herself to save all of humanity.
                  That's not true. For example those who criticize Intel for Intel ME are ready to do the same when it comes to AMD PSP.

People have been very consistent when it comes to cyber-espionage. There is no one out there that says spyware is ok if it's powered by AMD. To the contrary, spyware has been criticized regardless of which company it's related to.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

While their CPU vulnerabilities are fixed they have to find another way to pollute our machines with spyware. This is so obvious.
                    Intel fixes their CPU vulnerabilities?

Shirley you jest!

I know ... stop calling you Shirley!

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

Low IQ I-trust-authority-because-I'm-too-dumb-to-form-an-original-thought guy, checking in...
                      You are lucky - trump will never understand this technology ...

Comment

Working...
                      X