Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Ivybridge + Haswell Require Security Mitigation For Graphics Hardware Flaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Ivybridge + Haswell Require Security Mitigation For Graphics Hardware Flaw

Phoronix: Intel Ivybridge + Haswell Require Security Mitigation For Graphics Hardware Flaw

Earlier today we were first to report on an Intel graphics driver patch mitigating a "Gen9" graphics hardware vulnerability. Details on that new security disclosure are coming to light and it turns out older Intel "Gen" graphics are also affected...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Come on...

Comment

Just tried to build 5.4.12 with the latest patch for gen7 and it fails to build. It seems to need some tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorper View Post
        Just tried to build 5.4.12 with the latest patch for gen7 and it fails to build. It seems to need some tweaking.
        Try 5.5 Git.... IIRC, I think they said the Gen7 patch wouldn't be backported.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Come on...
          I know. This “vulnerability” is completely unfeasible to exploit in the first place. Like the others, it’s only an issue for virtualization providers, but no one’s going to provide virtual services for integrated graphics. Then it’s turned on by default, so it’s a detriment to many users in order to provide security for a nonexistent use case.

How about kernel defaults prioritizing personal computers instead of virtualization services? Oh, wait, all kernel developers now work for companies whose main business model is virtualization.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Try 5.5 Git.... IIRC, I think they said the Gen7 patch wouldn't be backported.
            I’m not saying you’re wrong about the backporting statement, I have no idea 🤷. But that seems a little stupid to me if true, given the fact 5.4 is an LTS and the relative severity of the issue. Good old intel. 🤦

Comment

Originally posted by bearoso View Post
              I know. This “vulnerability” is completely unfeasible to exploit in the first place. Like the others, it’s only an issue for virtualization providers,
              Not really. Like others it can be used to let a program snoop in another's allocated RAM.

Oh, wait, all kernel developers now work for companies whose main business model is virtualization.
              "now" lol. It's been a while
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 January 2020, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Come on...
                Pretty much what went through my mind when I read the headline. While I know it is an issue one has to laugh a bit at people concerned with Intel’s management processor when the whole product has more holes than Swiss cheese.

Comment

great my Haswell is not only will not get new update and now i will have to deal with slowdown come from patch mitigation

Comment

Like other mitigations...

Can it be disabled?

Comment

Working...
                    X