Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Graphics Regressions In Ubuntu 9.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chaos386
    replied
    Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
    I installed Jaunty Alpha 4 the other day, and with the latest packages (plus libsdl from a PPA to fix a bug with OpenGL), the 3D performance on my X4500 has improved massively over 8.10. Tremulous has gone from ~13 fps to 56.6 fps!
    Finally got around to benching the final version of 9.04 (upgraded from 8.10, not a clean install. No special settings in xorg.conf), and it averaged 76.9 fps this time! Quite an improvement, I'd say. Games through Wine and my closed-source Linux games still don't work, but I'm glad to see the invasive driver work is starting to pay off.

Leave a comment:

• Craig73
    replied
    There are suggested fixes in the Ubuntu Forums - including changing some driver settings up to upgrading the kernel/driver/etc..

Leave a comment:

• sardaukar
    replied
    I am experiencing this with 9.04 - upgraded last Friday and now my laptop takes 15 seconds to repaint the desktop coming from the screensaver (which takes 15 seconds after a key-press to show the password dialog). I keep getting the "app is not responding - Wait/Force Quit?" dialog and my load average is insanely high. Damn. Even tried reverting to the 2.4 driver, no cigar.

Bummer... hope a fix comes out quickly :|

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    BTW I miss the PTS compare url in the article. Would like to do a G31 test lenny vs. jaunty 64 bit.
    I would like to see the result when you've done that test (and of course, put the result here.)

Leave a comment:

• chaos386
    replied
    I installed Jaunty Alpha 4 the other day, and with the latest packages (plus libsdl from a PPA to fix a bug with OpenGL), the 3D performance on my X4500 has improved massively over 8.10. Tremulous has gone from ~13 fps to 56.6 fps!

Leave a comment:

• hyperqbe
    replied
    Known bug?

I'm curious if the testing included the fix for this bug:
    libdrm 2.4.1 in Jaunty is configured with --enable-udev, so the device node /dev/dri/card* now is created via udev and patch 01_default_perms.diff does not help to set the right permissions anymore. Therefore /dev/dri/card0 now gets file permissions crw-rw----. This results in poor performance, for example in sauerbraten and glxgears. Changing the permissions to 666 gives the old performance again. On my system I have created the file /etc/udev/rules.d/45-dev-dri-permissions.rules with the l...

If not, it might have been using software rendering.

Leave a comment:

• garytr24
    replied
    Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
    Ubuntu isn't the only distribution to pick up this code. Other distributions, like Fedora 10, are not in beta anymore.
    My first post, woo!

Fedora doesn't count. Even when there's an official release, it's meant to be bleeding edge like debian-experimental. Moreso than ubuntu. Different distributions fill different niches, that's fedora's. Fedora drives linux development and testing. Stuff like Ubuntu is more intended to be a distribution meant for regular people.

Leave a comment:

• DebianAroundParis
    replied
    And after upgrading to KDE 4.2 (from 3.5) I realized that this new KDE crashed just after the KDM login. So I went searching the packages of the previous working version of Xorg (X11, xorg, input files, intel, vesa, mesa) into /var/apt/cache/archives, copied them somewhere else, and managed to downgrade Xorg after reading the chapter named "6.4.11 Local package archive" there: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...ackage.en.html
    Now Torcs and KDE 4.2 work fine!
    Last edited by DebianAroundParis; 29 January 2009, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• whizse
    replied
    Sounds like it's falling back to software rendering.

Leave a comment:

• DebianAroundParis
    replied
    I confirm the huge regression in Debian Experimental with Linux 2.6.28 kernel, X Server 1.5.99.901 (1.6.0 RC1), xf86-video-intel 2.6.1, and Mesa 7.3-rc3.
    The car racing game Torcs, which was highly playable a couple weeks ago is now totally unplayable: I get 1 frame per second! I got around 20 frames per second with Linux 2.6.28 kernel, xserver-xorg-core 1.5.3, xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.6.0, and Mesa 7.3-rc1.
    Same huge regression with phoronix-test-suite benchmark tremulous: from 11-12 fps to 1-2 fps now.
    On the other hand there is no regression when playing full HD videos: it even seems a little bit smoother.
    Last edited by DebianAroundParis; 27 January 2009, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X