No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Plus Ice Lake Graphics Run Great With Mesa 19.3's Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Plus Ice Lake Graphics Run Great With Mesa 19.3's Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Intel Iris Plus Ice Lake Graphics Run Great With Mesa 19.3's Gallium3D Driver

The Intel "Gen11" Iris Plus Graphics on Ice Lake are a big upgrade over earlier Intel graphics generations but the gains are even more enticing if making use of their new Gallium3D OpenGL Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This cries out for a Ryzen APU in the graphics. Obviously wait for the latest software updates for the drivers. I’d love to see Intel catch up.

Comment

I hope we will now see even more improvements which benefit both big drivers, iris and radeon. This looks like a great example of mutual benefit.

Comment

Those are some pretty healthy improvements, especially for a new driver.

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        This cries out for a Ryzen APU in the graphics. Obviously wait for the latest software updates for the drivers. I’d love to see Intel catch up.
        Everyone always judges Intel's GPUs based on 3D performance, but that's not what they're built for (nor should they be). Intel's graphics handle stuff like transcoding and media production software much better than any competing chip from either AMD or Nvidia (at least in Windows).
        Even in Linux, the 3D performance is as good as it needs to be. It can handle stuff like compositing effects and WebGL apps very smoothly. If you bought an all-Intel platform and expected to play games, you made a mistake.

Comment

Does it support Gallium-Nine and APIs like VDPAU and OpenMAX out-of-the-box or does a Gallium driver need to support that specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Those are some pretty healthy improvements, especially for a new driver.

Everyone always judges Intel's GPUs based on 3D performance, but that's not what they're built for (nor should they be). Intel's graphics handle stuff like transcoding and media production software much better than any competing chip from either AMD or Nvidia (at least in Windows).
            Even in Linux, the 3D performance is as good as it needs to be. It can handle stuff like compositing effects and WebGL apps very smoothly. If you bought an all-Intel platform and expected to play games, you made a mistake.
            Yep. I find Intel integrated graphics to be superior to AMD and NVIDIA for my general, personal, desktop computing needs. Very low power, reliable, performs fast enough and cheap (it's right there on the CPU that I already bought).

I also had out-of-the-box, KMS support from my Intel graphics hardware before any NVIDIA and AMD hardware. That's history now though as AMD also have that working out-of-the-box. IDK what the state is with NVIDIA.

For intensive 3D stuff I currently prefer AMD over Intel and NVIDIA.

Comment

It's really great to see how much better the new driver performs.
              Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              I think this Intel chip might outperform RR2 but it's also a lot more expensive with it's recommended price $426.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
                Does it support Gallium-Nine and APIs like VDPAU and OpenMAX out-of-the-box or does a Gallium driver need to support that specifically?
                Nine mostly works, people have been using it. Media has special hardware that the driver would need to light up, so no VDPAU/OpenMAX for now.
                Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post

Nine mostly works, people have been using it. Media has special hardware that the driver would need to light up, so no VDPAU/OpenMAX for now.
                  Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X