Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Graphics Driver Patches For Fast Soft-RC6 Yield Big Energy Use Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Graphics Driver Patches For Fast Soft-RC6 Yield Big Energy Use Improvement

Phoronix: Intel Linux Graphics Driver Patches For Fast Soft-RC6 Yield Big Energy Use Improvement

Longtime open-source Intel Linux graphics driver developer Chris Wilson has sent out a set of 19 patches for what he calls fast soft-RC6 support and is a "substantial" improvement over the current driver code for Intel graphics power-savings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is RC6? What GPU families are expected to benefit from this?

Comment

Don't expect anything exciting. It's just that the security fix for CVE-2019-0154 made the RC6 power saving state practically unavailable, meaning the GPU is always on and keeps the CPU from entering deeper package C-states, wasting 1-2 watts. Chris' fix aims to bring the old behaviour back. Upstream bug report with more details here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=112315

Comment

So THAT is why battery life has been crap for me for the last few days. Sigh.

This regression is really bad, the workaround/fix should be included in 5.3.x and earlier stable kernels as well!

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          So THAT is why battery life has been crap for me for the last few days. Sigh.
          I think it is okay-ish to temporarily revert the patch as it only fixes a Denial-of-Service:

The second issue, assigned CVE-2019-0154 and is rated Moderate, allows an unprivileged, local attacker to create an invalid state while the GPU is in low-power mode. This allows the system to become inaccessible and requires a system restart to resume normal operations.

Comment

Casting shade at xorg? Why, because they architected their driver poorly to start with?
            Last edited by willmore; 19 November 2019, 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling seems to be a thing after all.

Comment

Originally posted by liskin View Post

I think it is okay-ish to temporarily revert the patch as it only fixes a Denial-of-Service:
              Sure, but I don't want to hack around with patched kernels. This shouldn't be necessary.

Comment

Working...
              X