IWD 1.1 Released For Intel's Linux Wireless Daemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    There is no real need to call systemd to the party. IWD is locked to Linux kernel anyway due to its founding principles and design, it cannot and will not be ported.
    The same can be said about systemd: It's locked to the Linux kernel.

Merge IWD to systemd seems like a natural and logical step for me. Damn, it even ends with a D letter!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha64 View Post
      Since we see "VHT-MCS 5", we know the connection is 802.11ac. It also shows the connection is 40MHz wide, and is using short guard interval (short GI).
      I share this because I had the same question at one point, and finally found this. Yes, it is very low-level, but all of the relevant details are there...
      Yeaaaaah... not everyone is going to know that, I'm familiar with the frequency and band, but not stuff like "VHT-MCS 5" equating to 802.11ac.

If the info is there and can easily be extracted for identifying the connection type established, you'd think a tool like this would be the perfect place for providing this info, without requiring a deeper technical knowledge to piece it together. Windows afaik provides the info, not sure about macOS but would assume it does too.

Thanks for sharing though. Is there enough information to identify 802.11 G and N?(I think one of my devices might still be establishing a G connection. What about with AX, is it ensured that each type of connection will have distinct information that singles them out or only possibly have the newer features in use(N can use 2.4GHz or 5GHz for example as well as a 40MHz wide band).
      Last edited by polarathene; 17 November 2019, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

This is for Ubuntu 19.10, and assumes you are using NetworkManager https://blobfolio.com/2019/10/replac...n-ubuntu-eoan/

EDIT: the last part where he is editing the wpa_supplicant service file is better done as a local service override, so you can freely update the wpa_supplicant package without undoing your little hack to neuter it.
        https://askubuntu.com/questions/6592...stemd-services
        I used "systemctl mask wpa_supplicant.service" to disable it on fedora. I also had to do "systemctl edit iwd" and add

Code:
        [Unit]
        After=dbus.service systemd-udevd.service
        to make it start after udevd, so that it will not block the renaming of the wireless device. It will probably work without that, but you may have the wrong device name if you look at the ifconfig output.

Comment

Working...
        X