Intel's Linux Graphics Driver Begins Preparing For Multi-GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Linux Graphics Driver Begins Preparing For Multi-GPU Support

Phoronix: Intel's Linux Graphics Driver Begins Preparing For Multi-GPU Support

Up until now the Intel Linux graphics driver hasn't had to worry about supporting multiple devices concurrently since, well, it hasn't been a possibility. But with the first Intel Xe discrete GPU hardware expected to arrive next year, the "i915" kernel driver has begun seeing restructuring work to support multi-GPU setups, or what most commonly will be Intel integrated graphics paired with a discrete Xe GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's too bad. Multi GPU for increased framerates(the SLI, CF setup) is an important next step needed for enthusiast gamers in linux environments.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      That's too bad. Multi GPU for increased framerates(the SLI, CF setup) is an important next step needed for enthusiast gamers in linux environments.
      Multi-GPU will come back one day but not with SLI/CF. Modern APIs provide better ways for enabling multi-GPU than SLI/CF did (notice that these are marketing words for a specific approach to mGPU which is basically dead nowadays). This needs still developer support which is somewhat scarce. But even on a Hardware Level there is more work needed (e.g. Cache coherency for the GPU/CPU to work more efficiently together; no needless moving around of data which is expansive in latency).

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        Modern APIs provide better ways for enabling multi-GPU than SLI/CF did
        Agreed. I may have misspoke a bit in that I do believe Vulkan may be one that can leverage multiple GPU's in this context - i only used CF and SLI because they are mentioned in the main article even though they are probably more of the "old way". But still, multi GPU gaming will hopefully come sooner rather than later.

Maybe Valve will help lead the effort.

Comment

Back in the days when MS would never do free software, Intel would never sell discrete GPUs to maybe work with competing CPUs...

But I guess nowadays Intel GPUs need blobs so this integrated GPU won't allow an ARM or Power board to accelerate 3D with 100% free software (and to hell with DRMed content), will it ? I stoped following intel GPUs, but I think I heard nowadays you need blobs...

Comment

Does amdgpu already support it well? What is needed to enable multi-GPU extensions in radv?

Comment

I for one would be perfectly happy with one GPU being reliably driven by an open source driver, after 2 years of futile attempts to get one "amdgpu" driven GPU not to crash the whole system frequently. And the Ryzen CPU in that system does not have an iGPU built into it, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Does amdgpu already support it well? What is needed to enable multi-GPU extensions in radv?
                Honestly, I don't know how far it is implemented yet, but at least there are some papers out there testing the principles and from a quick search, radv already supports some of the needed extensions.

Link to a paper with further info on the topic of Vulkan mGPU: https://ojs.bibsys.no/index.php/NIK/article/view/513/437

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  Honestly, I don't know how far it is implemented yet, but at least there are some papers out there testing the principles and from a quick search, radv already supports some of the needed extensions.
                  Not VK_KHR_device_group* ones which are needed for this.

Comment

Working...
                  X