Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kernel 2.6.28 + G33 => big video and gaming performance boost !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does it mean that mesa 7.3 may arrive soon?

Comment

Originally posted by DebianAroundParis View Post
      mesa 7.3 still has not reached Debian experimental. [...]
      Right, I'm a Debian user myself. Mesa isn't hard to compile from git, but if you're already getting satisfying results, I guess it would be a waste of time

Anyway, just for fun, these are the results on my G45 using 7.3-rc1:

Tremulous:
      1024 x 768
      Average: 43.13 Frames Per Second

1280 x 1024
      Average: 43.00 Frames Per Second

Comment

Interesting!
        With what CPU exactly?
        Could you please test the vids from Vimeo I linked to in my first message?
        In fact testing this more demanding video (after downloading it) would be more interesting, because when I play it I get a message in the console about my CPU being too slow, and many bytes are dropped:
        Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

I hesitate to get a G45 motherboard for DVI support (my Asus P5K-VM only has VGA). Getting smoother videos would help my decision.
        I may also just buy a GS8400 from nVidia.
        Does anyone know how much playing 1080p videos could improve on the diverse Intel chipsets?
        Last edited by DebianAroundParis; 09 January 2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianAroundParis View Post
          Interesting!
          With what CPU exactly?
          Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
          Originally posted by DebianAroundParis
          Could you please test the vids from Vimeo I linked to in my first message?
          In fact testing this more demanding video (after downloading it) would be more interesting, because when I play it I get a message in the console about my CPU being too slow, and many bytes are dropped:
          Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
          Sure! The first two videos seems to play fine, not that I'm a very good judge of video smoothness, but at least MPlayer doesn't complain.

Unfortunately, the last one you linked to, Winter, does have some obvious skips.

I'm using 2.6.99.1 of the intel driver, using EXA and textured video (the G45 does not have overlay).

Comment

Thank you!
            I use Intel driver 2.5.1.
            Which means I must not expect as big an improvement with 2.6 for HD videos as an nvidia 8400GS would bring. Or maybe a new version of mpayer could help as much as a new graphics card?

Comment

Looks like Mesa 7.3-rc1 is on it's way to experimental now.

For big speed ups in video decoding I think we need to wait for VA-API to be implemented.

Comment

Yes, mesa 7.3-rc1 is there, but it depends on libdrm-intel 2.4.3 which is there too but depends on intel 2.6-rc1 which is not.

Comment

Finally! Intel's 2.6 video driver has arrived, and along with mesa 7.3-rc1 and libdrl 2.4.3, the improvements are clear:

Tremulous:
                  1024 x 768

18.3 Frames Per Second
                  18.4 Frames Per Second
                  18.4 Frames Per Second

Average: 18.36 Frames Per Second

A 50% improvement.
                  The improvement is also very precious in Torcs: I can now play it at 1280*1024 without slowdowns.
                  One year ago this game was unplayable, even at lower resolutions.
                  On the other hand, no improvement when playing HD videos. For that I look forward to the next versions of mplayer, vlc, ffmpeg.

Comment

Still a lot slower than the 30 fps at 1280x1024 from here.

Comment

Have you any idea why?

Comment

Working...
                      X