Clear Linux Has A Goal To Get 3x More Upstream Components In Their Distro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Has A Goal To Get 3x More Upstream Components In Their Distro

Phoronix: Clear Linux Has A Goal To Get 3x More Upstream Components In Their Distro

For those concerned that running Clear Linux means less available packages/bundles than the likes of Debian, Arch Linux, and Fedora with their immense collection of packaged software, Clear has a goal this year of increasing their upstream components available on the distribution by three times...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone switched from Fedora to Clear Linux recently?

Comment

By the way, I am curious if there is a way in ClearLinux to build my own customized RPM/DEB-like packages automatically (on ClearLinux that would be building bundles, right?). On Solus, there is Solbuild which comes very close in functionally what I'd like to see: An easy way to build packages with my own more agressive compiler flags (Graphite, LTO and march=native where it works and makes sense). What made Solbuild more convenient was that it managed all of the dependencies automatically and I could alter the provided yaml-file with my own custom compiler flags.

Comment

I've seen Arjan on the forums so if you see this, is their a solution planned for managing proprietary software in Clear Linux (separate repo or something)? I'd love to see Chrome, ffmpeg, and other such software available as bundles (but not included in the main repo for obvious reasons) so that desktop functionality is improved. I've made some or commented on some GitHub issues that address this but I haven't seen any updates.

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist View Post
          I've seen Arjan on the forums so if you see this, is their a solution planned for managing proprietary software in Clear Linux (separate repo or something)? I'd love to see Chrome, ffmpeg, and other such software available as bundles (but not included in the main repo for obvious reasons) so that desktop functionality is improved. I've made some or commented on some GitHub issues that address this but I haven't seen any updates.
          I agree, ffmpeg is essential for desktop use. Having a performance optimized build would be even better. And if not Chrome itself, Chromium + VAAPI patches for hardware video acceleration would be a priority for me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I agree, ffmpeg is essential for desktop use. Having a performance optimized build would be even better. And if not Chrome itself, Chromium + VAAPI patches for hardware video acceleration would be a priority for me as well.
            Definitely. With my hardware at least, it wouldn't matter what kind of optimisations you have, because if I am listening to music in the background it means that I have an extra core available on Fedora and Arch! The VAAPI patches make it brilliant. And hopefully also support for broadcom's wl driver.

Comment

So by the time they are done, Clear Linux will have 5 apps available for it.

Comment

Give me amdgpu, sway and qutebrowser and I'll give it a go...

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                  Give me amdgpu, sway and qutebrowser and I'll give it a go...
                  FYI, AMDGPU+RadeonSI/RADV is already available on Clear.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Could be a rather long wait, but Kodi on Clear would make my decade.
                    Hi

Comment

Working...
                    X