Intel To Eventually Explore Offering A Graphics Control Panel For Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Since when does Intel develop the Radeon settings panel? AFAIK Radeon is an AMD product. I was talking about the Intel Control Panel.
    Oh! I thought you meant the AMD panel because I saw the word "AMD" so many times in this thread that I thought we changed topics. Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Me neither, 'cause I don't know what any of those tuneables mean lol
      If you don't know what they mean, maybe you shouldn't touch them. Having GUI for doing random things is easier than CLI, but doing random stuff is never smart.
      Basic info you can find by calling 'modinfo i915' - it's the values you've both listed, but they are mostly kernel parameters. You can make them persistent by passing as kernel parameter(i.e. GRUB), adding to /etc/modprobe.{conf,d/} or /etc/sysctl.{conf,d/}

Most of the "OpenGL" 'tunables' are rutime set by using environment variables:

You can make them persistent *system-wide" by writing to /etc/environemnt or (IMHO better idea) by creating small file(with descriptive name) in /etc/profile.d/. If you want to make it local (for you current user only), then /etc/bash_profile is a good place.

The 3rd place where settings are stored is /etc/drirc (global/system-wide) or ~/.drirc (local/per-user)). It's probably what you are searching for:

It's universal and works with all DRI/FLOSS drivers. And the more fun thing is that GUI app(called DriConf) is over 15 years old, so all you are wrong:

It's simple and lightweight GTK+2 app, but it works. If you something better, then there is one year old "Advanced Dri Configurator" using GTK+3 toolkit.
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The nice thing is that both programs(and drirc infrastructure) supports all DRI-supported cards and shows options relevant to used gfx cards Both apps allow settings some options globally or per-app(using executable name), settings default or forcing settings(overriding antialiasing/anisotrophic filtering). It was all possible tean years ago when I played games and used drirc/driconf.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        We also got flack for not having a native gui for various toolkits.
        Maybe make it a CLI one and let DE devs work out the GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Maybe make it a CLI one and let DE devs work out the GUI.
          There is already a documented sysfs interface for just about everything on the kernel side.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

There is already a documented sysfs interface for just about everything on the kernel side.
            https://dri.freedesktop.org/docs/drm/gpu/amdgpu.html
            I was wondering about that, yeah that does not seem like it would help a GUI much to have that in a CLI first since that's pretty much what the sysfs is, my bad!

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

God forbid people who don't want to have to use a terminal and remember what does what in sysfs.
              In that case you're screwed anyway. The "best" solution would be to make it optional, so I don't even have to waste storage space on a useless utility.

Comment

Working...
              X