• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Wayland is a protocol.
    Wayland can easily be extended.
    Extensions are defined as a protocol specifications.
    The specifications are xml files:
    GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

The tool wayland-scanner can auto-generate a C API from these XML files. But the specification itself does not require you to use C at all and it doesn't matter which GPU you have. This code may be used to write compositors if you don't want to use libraries like wlroots.
    NVIDIA only bullshit like EGLStream is an issue the compositor developer has to deal with and is separate from the wayland protocol itself.
    People write these XML specifications.
    Intel employs people, called developer.
    This developer proposed generic extensions (see article and mailing list).
    I can't see any intel specific requirements in those extensions and I don't know why it would be necessary.
    Do you state that nvidia, amd and intel have not development team?

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

so, is not intel a vendor?
    Wayland is a protocol.
    Wayland can easily be extended.
    Extensions are defined as a protocol specifications.
    The specifications are xml files:
    GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

The tool wayland-scanner can auto-generate a C API from these XML files. But the specification itself does not require you to use C at all and it doesn't matter which GPU you have. This code may be used to write compositors if you don't want to use libraries like wlroots.
    NVIDIA only bullshit like EGLStream is an issue the compositor developer has to deal with and is separate from the wayland protocol itself.
    People write these XML specifications.
    Intel employs people, called developer.
    This developer proposed generic extensions (see article and mailing list).
    I can't see any intel specific requirements in those extensions and I don't know why it would be necessary.
    Last edited by Kemosabe; 10 January 2019, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

It is about a wayland protocol specification. It's entirely independent of the GPU vendor and solely depends on weather the compositor implements it or not.
    so, is not intel a vendor?

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    what about the other producers of video hardwares!? AMD and Nvidia?!
    It is about a wayland protocol specification. It's entirely independent of the GPU vendor and solely depends on weather the compositor implements it or not.

Leave a comment:

• Compartmentalisation
    replied
    Yay this is awesome!
    What kind of applications can use HDR? mpv has a Wayland context and does HDR on Windows, so I wonder if this would mean that mpv will be able to use HDR on Linux too.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    what about the other producers of video hardwares!? AMD and Nvidia?!

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Amazing news.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
    YAY! We've been working on HDR support in Krita since mid 2018 -- and have it working on Windows, and on Windows only. It's really quite cool, and I would even say, spectacular. This might actually drive us to spend time with Wayland... Even though there's no support for drawing tablets in Qt on Wayland yet.
    By any chance, maybe you know why stylus buttons support is broken in Krita for Linux? BTN_FORWARD and BTN_EXTRA is ignored, and seems like eraser is ignored too.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Nice... hope it will not take too long until the other compositors will pick that up then. My screen is HDR capable.

Leave a comment:

• patrakov
    replied
    On wide-gamut non-HDR monitors, full-screen games still look like <censored>. Oversaturated colors. I.e. Linux still does not have mandatory full-screen color correction that works even for legacy apps from the times when all monitors were strictly sRGB. And - you call this feature parity with MacOS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X