Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's Certainly Much Interest In Linux On Intel's Future Discrete Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    "the company's successful, long-standing open-source graphics driver support over the past decade."
    Intel graphics have been slow, it is much easier to develop stable drivers than with real graphics cards with higher clocks and more features. Their first dGPU will be super buggy , intel is not perfect god. By the way, intel-gfx is the most popular buggy driver:
    https://bugzilla.freedesktop.org/bug...ormat=advanced

But it is good that intel believers may have their intel only gaming system in 2020 finally. ADM only systems have been possible for a long time. No intel hardware in gaming consoles, it is so bad.
    You know the reason there are so many bugs for i915? Because we have a CI system that is designed to push the driver to its limits, which catches issues better than users could ever do. We have been improving our quality massively in the past 2 years and even Linus acknowledges that: https://lwn.net/Articles/769253/

Actually, we don't only catch i915 problems, we also catch a lot of bugs in other drivers (network, drm, amdgpu, usb, ...). I would know about this because I am the author of the overwhelming majority of these bug reports you are mentioning. Check out https://intel-gfx-ci.01.org/ for more information

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      was sayting "no proprietary blobs" as a request

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        What remotely modern AMD graphics you buy that don't need a firmware blob?
        Asking for a friend.
        Awful question, maybe R300 series? R200 at least should work without blobs. In practice I think there are none. Kepler series GeForce gives maybe best blobless performance.

Comment

Funny. When reading Phoronix, I wouldn't say that there's much interest lol

Comment

On a practical note, they can't even keep up with cpu fabrication, falling back to 22nm for some sku's. How are they going to compete at 7nm?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's Intel's fault for pricing their stuff so high. It also doesn't help that AMD straight up beat Intel in regards to integrated GPUs. Intel might have the better IPC, but AMD has the better overall package at a lower price point.
              I’ve been pleasantly surprised by my Ryzen mobile system even if I knew of the importance of the GPU’s in modern systems ahead of purchase. This is often dismissed by some but modern desktop or personal computer usage pretty much demands a decent GPU. Today’s high resolution screens are one factor but you also have the reality of GPU compute. Many laptops with Intel GPUs just feel sluggish even if the CPU is theoretically faster.

My my only complaint is that AMD is a bit slow with support but I kinda expected that going in. Well that and I think AMD needs to pull head from behind and deliver a high performance APU chip with built in HBM. Such a multi chip module solution would make for some really great small form factor machines.

Comment

Somewhat unlikely if not impossible. Their iGPU needs blobs, and if they want to support HDCP and other "secure" DRM feature bs they have to use blobs for the critical parts.
                Makes you wonder if a trend towards modular drivers are in order. Frankly I’m not too concerned about blobs as I’m concerned about hardware and software being continuously improved. This especially in the case of software drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by MuPuF View Post

You know the reason there are so many bugs for i915? Because we have a CI system that is designed to push the driver to its limits, which catches issues better than users could ever do. We have been improving our quality massively in the past 2 years and even Linus acknowledges that: https://lwn.net/Articles/769253/

Actually, we don't only catch i915 problems, we also catch a lot of bugs in other drivers (network, drm, amdgpu, usb, ...). I would know about this because I am the author of the overwhelming majority of these bug reports you are mentioning. Check out https://intel-gfx-ci.01.org/ for more information
                  I’d like to thank you for your efforts. People don’t seem to realize thatknown bugs are far better than unknown bugs.

Given that hat it is really frustrating to see Intel give GPU hardware a standing well below CPU and other chip components. GPU performance is very important even if you never spend a day playing games. I’m really hoping these new architectures renew a focus on GPU performance.

Comment

What remotely modern AMD graphics you buy that don't need a firmware blob?
                    Asking for a friend.
                    Well played sir, and seconded.

If Intel starts selling blob-free discrete GPUs, I might find myself with an AMD CPU and an Intel GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Well played sir, and seconded.

If Intel starts selling blob-free discrete GPUs, I might find myself with an AMD CPU and an Intel GPU.
                      My first comment meant that unless there is no blob required with Intel card, then I will surely keep buying better performing AMD cards. But if no blob needed, then I would buy worse performing Intel.

Comment

Working...
                      X