Testing latest -intel in Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sarvatt View Post
    Edit2: Man, forget all of that I said, it really was as simple as changing [no] to [yes] in the configure.ac, my libs were overwritten by a linux-libc-dev update... Talk about hours spent on nothing Modesetting is working 100% now and a heck of alot faster than it was with the screwed up libs
    It is possible you were unlucky enough to pull down the libdrm-dev packages I had posted for only a few hours the other day. I found the -intel package would not build with it, due to missing definition of I915_SETPARAM_NUM_USED_FENCE. It was a recent change in debian-experimental which had dropped these headers from the drm-snapshot packaging (because they now ship them in linux-libc-dev). I reverted this change and posted a new drm-snapshot and now -intel would build. Glad you got your kms working

Comment

• Originally posted by tormod View Post
      It is possible you were unlucky enough to pull down the libdrm-dev packages I had posted for only a few hours the other day. I found the -intel package would not build with it, due to missing definition of I915_SETPARAM_NUM_USED_FENCE. It was a recent change in debian-experimental which had dropped these headers from the drm-snapshot packaging (because they now ship them in linux-libc-dev). I reverted this change and posted a new drm-snapshot and now -intel would build. Glad you got your kms working

that would explain it, i've got an itchy update finger and that was the exact problem I had bad news is KMS isn't really worth the effort right now unless something is messed up. glxgears is 300-400fps vs 900 or so in exa UMS + kernel tiling from having nomodeset on the boot line. Plus there's an extra 300 or so interrupts per second hiding while using it but that might be an artifact of my kernel config. on top of that it is unstable using KMS+ kernel tiling on my hardware since you're forced into UXA and there are tiling problems but it's probably better for 965+ users that want to try it. XvMC in DRI2/UXA works fine with a patch I have, but it wont build on the PPA with the patch for some reason.. thanks again for all the help and for providing the packages tormod!

Comment

• Performance still horrible on UXA

Hi,
        I have tested the latest version of the intel driver (2009-04-03) from xorg-edgers. Performance with UXA is still around 1 FPS in neverwinter nights, 170 FPS in glxgears. This time glxgears does not mention vsync.

With EXA, performance is now 450 FPS ( lower by 300) in glxgears and smooth in nwn as before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vermind View Post
          Hi,
          I have tested the latest version of the intel driver (2009-04-03) from xorg-edgers. Performance with UXA is still around 1 FPS in neverwinter nights, 170 FPS in glxgears. This time glxgears does not mention vsync.

With EXA, performance is now 450 FPS ( lower by 300) in glxgears and smooth in nwn as before.

on what kind of card? are you using KMS? I get around 850fps in glxgears in EXA with nomodeset on the kernel command line and KMS default enabled in my kernel. 350 or so FPS in UXA with or without KMS. EXA speed without KMS is the exact same between ubuntu stock drivers and xorgedgers, only UXA actually works instead of giving me a software rendered framebuffer like it does on the ubuntu drivers. Have you tried booting with nopat in your kernel options? I don't know what machine you're on, but on my aspire one I have to enable mtrr_cleanup or else I get performance like you describe on any driver. Just throwing out some ideas of what could be wrong incase it helps any

My card-
          Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Comment

• No luck

Hi,
            I am using an eeepc 901 with Intel 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express.
            The kernel is the current up to date Jaunty kernel.
            I think adding enable_mtrr_cleanup and nomodeset to the kernel command line did nothing, or perhaps a boost to 3 fps in nwn menu swirl, 250 in glxgears on UXA. EXA gives 550 now. With EXA, I get 40 fps out of the nwn menu swirl.

What is this KMS and nomodeset? As far as I've heard, kms just allows a quicker and flickerless bootup to X.

Additional performance ideas are welcome.

Comment

• Ah you dont have KMS so no need for the nomodeset command line, and I haven't heard anything about the eee's needing the mtrr cleanup like my aspire one does. There was just a change in the jaunty kernel regarding the i915 driver though if you didn't see it, that might be causing some slowdown because tiling is disabled.

You might be better off with the stock ubuntu 2.6.3 drivers if you are using such an old kernel though, these newer intel drivers seem to be pretty reliant on features added in the 2.6.29-2.6.30 kernels. There's been so many changes on how they allocate buffers it makes my head spin trying to figure out which patches do what and they seem pretty hard set on switching everyone over to UXA which isn't really an option on the jaunty kernel..

You might also want to try booting with the nopat kernel parameter to see if it's any better as a last ditch effort.

Comment

• Kernel

Hello,
                First, thanks for all the advice. I had no idea that the drivers required something newer than the Jaunty beta kernel. I would like to know if the new kernel has the eee_laptop module, so that I can use the laptop properly. It seems the Jaunty kernel has that, as well as the Array kernel. Is there a package I can install for the new kernel, or should I just run kernelcheck and build it? How and where would I get the eee_laptop module included if it doesn't exist in that kernel? Can I just copy files from the jaunty kernel sources or the Array sources?

Edit: found http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.30-rc1/ , will try later today...

Edit: Tested new kernel 30-rc1. Pulseaudio eats all CPU on login and system semi-freezes.
                Tested kernel 29.1. Seems to work well; performance on UXA is mediocre, but much closer to acceptable. I am not using any boot options or Xorg.conf options. On EXA, performance is slightly improved from the previous kernel, in the order of 150 FPS in glxgears and aroung 5 FPS in nwn general performance. NWN on UXA is smooth in menu, but in-game performance is around 5-10 fps (5 in crowded areas), and zooming out is not so smooth. on EXA, NWN has 10-20 fps and is more playable.

However, on these kernels I do not have the wireless drivers for the EEE. Where to get them?

Edit: Got wireless drivers working using someone's compiled version of 2.6.29-1 for the eee. http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~elmurato/EeePC/ . Scorched3d has become playable with the current intel driver and this kernel. EXA does the job, UXA is only slightly slower. 3D performance is on the rise for the eee 901.
                Last edited by Vermind; 12 April 2009, 02:21 PM. Reason: Notes about 29.1 kernel added

Comment

• I post my kernels with KMS enabled here incase you want to try them but they are more specific to the aspire one.

I do have the eee WMI extras included in it, but I'm not sure wha wireless NIC you use and I don't include ralink drivers because they cause all kinds of compile problems.

You can get newer pulseaudio drivers from this ppa

and newer alsa stuff from my ppa

If it DOES use ralink drivers, you should be able to get them here

if you want to see if that fixes sound problems. If you want to try KMS out you can get the xserver-xorg-video-intel from my ppa as well that is the same as the one in xorg-edgers except with KMS enabled. That is, if you want to pull your hair out experimenting with the stuff
                  Last edited by Sarvatt; 12 April 2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Intrepid

Hello,
                    I got the kernel I mentioned earlier, and it installs and works on Intrepid. However, the drm-modules do not build against it with module-assistant. I get:
                    linux-core/drm_fops.c:253: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'euid'

Any ideas?

I am using ralink rt2860 on the eee, so I kind of need ralink drivers.

Comment

• Don't build DRM modules, those are deprecated in favor of the kernel's own modules and have not been updated for a LONG time for intel.

Comment

Working...
                      X