Testing latest -intel in Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kxmas View Post
    Nothing negative to report for xserver-xorg-video-intel ver 2:2.6.99.1+git20090312.dc3ff0b5-0ubuntu0tormod
    Well, I've had 2 freezes since yesterday! But then again, I'm running Jaunty and 2.6.29-rc8 so could be anything. The only thing I have is this tail end of the last Xorg.0.log.old:

[ 26.305024] (II) intel(0): EDID for output TV
    [ 6635.468844] (WW) config/hal: device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard already added. Ignoring.
    [11135.411132] (II) PM Event received: Capability Changed

Comment

• So... Can someone run down the list of things I need to do in order to get KMS working for an i945?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• @mrvanes: I have also some crashes on i865G, using EXA and Kwin composition when moving a window. Also usgin 2.6.99.1+git20090312.dc3ff0b5-0ubuntu0tormod and 2.6.29-rc8, but also with 2.6.99.1+git20090306.67fef27f-0ubuntu0tormod and 2.6.28-10-generic.

Comment

• Originally posted by KDesk View Post
          @mrvanes: I have also some crashes on i865G, using EXA and Kwin composition when moving a window. Also usgin 2.6.99.1+git20090312.dc3ff0b5-0ubuntu0tormod and 2.6.29-rc8, but also with 2.6.99.1+git20090306.67fef27f-0ubuntu0tormod and 2.6.28-10-generic.
          I had a freeze yesterday with 2.6.99.1+git20090319.bedc894a-0ubuntu0tormod running kernel 2.6.29-rc8. I have since rebuilt the drm-snapshot and xserver-xorg-video-intel packages and have been steady with UXA.

Comment

• I think this is the bug that causes the freeze http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15473

Comment

• low performance with UXA on EEE PC 901

Hello,
              I just tried the xorg-edgers drivers on an EEE PC 901 with Jaunty.
              I followed the instructions:
              1. make sure you are using latest Ubuntu or Debian unstable
              4. install the libdrm packages
              5. install the mesa packages
              6. install the xorg-server-core
              7. install the input/video drivers
              8. reboot (or stop X, unload old drm modules, restart X)
              and put Option "AccelMethod" "UXA" in my xorg.conf.
              I get 170 fps in glxgears, and when running glxgears, I see two messages:
              Code:
              get fences failed: -1
              param: 6, val: 0
              When starting neverwinter nights and clicking "New", the red swirl is going about 1 fps.

With EXA, I get the same messages, and 600 fps. nwn red swirl is smooth.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vermind View Post
                Hello,
                I just tried the xorg-edgers drivers on an EEE PC 901 with Jaunty.
                I followed the instructions:
                Do not install all the packages from the PPA, only those which are newer (higher version) than those in main. Basically the -intel driver (and the libdrm2 if -intel complains about dependencies when installing). There is also the mesa package, but 7.4 will be uploaded in main soon (get the upload candidate from https://launchpad.net/~tjaalton/+archive/ppa).

Comment

• No luck

Hi,
                  Do not install all the packages from the PPA, only those which are newer (higher version) than those in main. Basically the -intel driver (and the libdrm2 if -intel complains about dependencies when installing). There is also the mesa package, but 7.4 will be uploaded in main soon (get the upload candidate from https://launchpad.net/~tjaalton/+archive/ppa).
                  thanks for the suggestion. I installed the 7.4 Mesa packages, but have no luck, the performance did not change.

Are there any xorg.conf options I could set to improve performance? Does this intel driver introduce new options?

Comment

• No luck

Hello,
                    thanks for the suggestion.
                    I just tried with the Mesa 7.4 packages. No luck, performance stayed the same.

Are there any new xorg.conf options I can set for the intel driver?

Does INTEL_BATCH=1 help, can it be set in console before a program or should it be in /etc/environment?

Comment

• tiling fixes

Today I uploaded a new libdrm and intel driver to the xorg-edgers PPA which among other things include some tiling fixes that might help performance. Due to vacations this will be the last update for a while. Please test it out with EXA and UXA and compare to the stock Jaunty packages. If there are improvements, please report them, and even better, try to find out why (git bisect is your friend). It is about last chance to get performance fixes into Jaunty before it is released.

I can also recommend the ubuntu-x mailing list: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-x

Comment

Working...
                      X