No announcement yet.

Igalia Sends Out Another 26 Patches Chipping Away On Intel ARB_gl_spirv Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igalia Sends Out Another 26 Patches Chipping Away On Intel ARB_gl_spirv Support

Phoronix: Igalia Sends Oht Another 26 Patches Chipping Away On Intel ARB_gl_spirv Support

OpenGL 4.6 has been out for more than a year but the Mesa-based drivers (namely RadeonSI and Intel) remain blocked from officially advertising this latest GL revision due to not yet supporting the ARB_gl_spirv extension and related ARB_spirv_extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oht??

Comment

Out.

I wonder what AMD's plans are for supporting this when Intel's side is done.

It seems like they'd want to switch over to NIR ahead of time, since that's going to be required for GL 4.6, and the transition will probably take some time to make sure it's all bug free. It doesn't appear they're really trying to do that, though. The NIR support just seems to be sitting there. Are they going to do the whole transition to 4.6 + NIR at the same time?

Comment

smitty3268 I think the issue is more along the lines of nothing uses opengl 4.6, and there's larger fish to fry with limited resources, so it's a bit on the backburner for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
          smitty3268 I think the issue is more along the lines of nothing uses opengl 4.6, and there's larger fish to fry with limited resources, so it's a bit on the backburner for now.
          I had thought that the spir-v stuff would generally work with existing software, but without the hardware and vender specific quirkiness. Because everything goes through spir-v, it would make graphics development for stuff a lot easier. Is that not the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
            This. OpenGL 4.6 is nice to have, but there are other priorities. I am more excited for compatibility profile 4.5 + the tons of new OpenGL extensions for RadeonSI MESA 18.3 brings, than for getting 4.6.

Plus, the most hot item drivers absolutely need right now is the new stream output compatibility extension for Vulkan. I am quitely hoping for it making its way into MESA 18.3... A bit optimistic, but since screenshots of it working have been shown already...

Comment

But is the Intel CEO in prison yet, for selling his stocks and making money off Meltdown?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                But is the Intel CEO in prison yet, for selling his stocks and making money off Meltdown?
                Will the Intel CEO face any real charge at all?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  The NIR support just seems to be sitting there
                  last radeonsi commit from 6 days ago is nir-related. there is also nir-related activity in common radeonsi+radv code

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                    I had thought that the spir-v stuff would generally work with existing software
                    no, software has to be taught to bring spir-v shaders

Comment

Working...
                    X