No announcement yet.

Intel Has Another Developer Working Now Working On FreeBSD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great, more developers for FreeBSD is something FreeBSD desperately needs! And I definitely have had some bad experiences with Intel graphics on FreeBSD in the past, so more power to them.

Meanwhile, as with all FreeBSD threads, we have the usual off-topic drivel including:
    • BSD license is too free troll(s).
    • SJW troll [New troll theme!]
    • Miscellaneous BSD hypocrisy troll (nevermind Jordan Hubbard was director of UNIX technology at Apple and so would run an Apple system)
    Last edited by nslay; 02 June 2018, 10:00 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

One of them being forums.freebsd.org.
      Indeed? Open both forums and do comparative search for a word "asshole"

FreeBSD forums: I got 1 post which was ranting at someone else same forum, 1 that was ranting at somebody here in Phoronix(!) and some non-personal returns where someone had used word "asshole" in a configurations.

Phoronix forums: 7 pages worth of posts with that word in it. As insults.

Make your conclusions about comparative toxicity.

Comment

The question was what was wrong with FreeBSD, so here are a few answers. If that's too much to handle for your fragile mind, you can retreat into your Safe Space and spend the next two weeks crying and watching videos of kittens. You have nothing to worry about, no one is coming for you.
        You say "here are a few answers" ... but then you forgot to list them. Do you have any examples? Still waiting

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

You say "here are a few answers" ... but then you forgot to list them. Do you have any examples? Still waiting
          The answers were in the previous posts if you cared to read them. In summary:

1. It's licence. Of course the licence is not bad by itself. It's a subjective assessment coming from the Linux community which likes its GPL and, in many cases, is not fond of BSD-style permissive licences. Obviously the reverse applies too, FreeBSD proponents often don't like the GPL.

2. It has a CoC

3. What's much worse, that CoC is straight out of a SJW book, complete with "systemic oppression", "gender identity", "body size" and more gems. They only forgot to discuss "intersectionality". Whether it's compulsory to take courses on microagressions and decolonising the C language before you can become a FreeBSD developer, that I don't know.

4. The community is ridiculously touchy and fanboyish. Their zeal is equal to the Linux pioneers of the mid-1990s, often repeating BS arguments debunked thousands of times just to reassure themselves and pat each other on the shoulder. They are also incapable to accept any form of criticism. Go to FreeBSD forums, start a thread about how you think that some very specific point is done better in Linux and have a field day.
          Last edited by jacob; 03 June 2018, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Their zeal is equal to the Linux pioneers of the mid-1990s.
            I can't help but feel that if it wasn't for these guys and their "zeal", we would only have Windows these days and be forced to conform or work in the mines

These guys had to fight against plebs telling them repeatedly "Haha, why waste your time when Windows is so cool".

I think we should all walk up to each one and formally apologise for either our own stupidity, or the stupidity of our forefathers.

The majority obviously cannot be trusted to make a good decision, so we should just encourage *every* project and stay out of their way. Then if some positive output has come from these projects, we can rest safely in the knowledge that we kept our dumb mouths shut and did not hinder the excellence of others.

Projects such as Linux, FreeBSD, ReactOS, 9front, etc. are all examples that we should encourage.

Go to FreeBSD forums, start a thread about how you think that some very specific point is done better in Linux and have a field day.
            A support forum is *not* the place for this kind of discussion obviously. This exact topic is discussed well on the mailing list where the developers live. Yes, their technical knowledge might "scare" you, but this is the only place where meaningful discussion of this nature can be had.

For example, you wouldn't complain about the GPL license on the Debian forums would you? No, you would either go to the kernel.org mailing list or the GNU project. Same with the FreeBSD mailing list and the FreeBSD Foundation respectively.

Or better still, go to the Microsoft Windows support forums and complain about their license haha. Let us know how far that gets you
            Last edited by kpedersen; 03 June 2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Michael

Working Now Working

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                I can't help but feel that if it wasn't for these guys and their "zeal", we would only have Windows these days and be forced to conform or work in the mines
                If we don't have to work in the mines, it's largely thanks to the vision of Richard Stallman and the development efforts of Linus Torvalds, plus the millions of those who built more projects and generally contributed in one way or another to make Linux a viable platform. In particular, we should thank all those who recognised various Linux flaws and shortcomings and worked to provide solutions. I don't think we owe much to those who used to brag that "Winbl0w$" was for dummies and Linux was much better because it didn't have plug&play. But that sort of mentality is still very much alive and well in FreeBSD land.

A support forum is *not* the place for this kind of discussion obviously. This exact topic is discussed well on the mailing list where the developers live. Yes, their technical knowledge might "scare" you, but this is the only place where meaningful discussion of this nature can be had.
                The Off-Topic forum is not a support forum, I'm not raising anything there (just reading, for the sheer fun of it) and the topics are those raised by the zealots - We All Know How FreeBSD Is Superior To Everything Else In The Universe, etc. And they don't get dismissed for being stupid or childish, rather everyone congratulates each other for how l33t they are.

I'm not saying that there are no intelligent people in the FreeBSD community - of course there are. I'm not saying that FreeBSD has no legitimate use cases, it definitely does. But unlike the Linux or OpenBSD communities which have mostly grown up and became adult, the FreeBSD community is still in large part populated by children. Their infamous CoC is a case in point.

Or better still, go to the Microsoft Windows support forums and complain about their license haha. Let us know how far that gets you
                If I wanted to complain about a MS licence (I don't, because I don't use it, so I have no reason to care), a Microsoft forum would presumably be the right place for that. Complaining about it among GPL fans wouldn't take me anywhere, would it.
                Last edited by jacob; 03 June 2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

The answers were in the previous posts if you cared to read them. In summary:

3. What's much worse, that CoC is straight out of a SJW book, complete with "systemic oppression", "gender identity", "body size" and more gems. They only forgot to discuss "intersectionality". Whether it's compulsory to take courses on microagressions and decolonising the C language before you can become a FreeBSD developer, that I don't know.
                  Right. So "answer" that relates to what we were discussing. You don't like codes of conduct, I get it. Do you have a link to their code of conduct that includes these things you mention?

Comment

FreeBSD is an operating system used to power modern servers, desktops, and embedded platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                      Pretty funny reading.

If company does not want to contribute back, it will not - regardless of a license. It either throws lawyers on it or would circumvent GPL in a way that you have exactly nothing to do with released "sources" - which are for example provided in a unusable form (no instruction, dependent components are closed source or something else) but nobody can claim sources weren't made available. What you can do with these? Nothing.

About Code of Conduct and SJW (Social Justice Warriors). Why do you think you are any better? LOL. Just different kind of lunacy - bash any non-linux/non-GPL OS/software piece because it dies not fit your vision of "properness". You are exactly the same, just "fighting" for different ideas but attitude is exactly the same.

About infantile behaviour and unfriendly BSD folks. There are very few IT forums which are more toxic than Phoronix and it's predominantly Linux-crowd.

Ponder that. I am still laughing.
                      As a FreeBSD biased fanboy you're the last one who can judge other people on this forum. And it's usually biased BSD-crowd who doesn't seem to accept reality. Last time I showed you were wrong in everything you have said and what was your response? None. As for GPL stop spreading FUD and bullshit:

https://www.itworld.com/article/2734...olations-.html

So, what if a violation is indeed found?

"It's been true for a decade, and remains true: most GPL violations are an honest mistake. These days, there's often an upstream who failed to properly educate their downstream, and then the downstream made a mistake and violated," Kuhn replied. "The companies in violation almost always want to work to come into compliance, and the Conservancy doesn't ask for much: the Conservancy asks that they reimburse the cost of our time to help the company come into compliance, and to fully comply with all Open Source and Free Software licenses in their product."

Comment

Working...
                      X