Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Mesa Driver Finally Supports Threaded OpenGL

Phoronix: Intel Mesa Driver Finally Supports Threaded OpenGL

Based off the Gallium3D "mesa_glthread" work for threaded OpenGL that can provide a measurable win in some scenarios, the Intel i965 Mesa driver has implemented this support now too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think Intel's GPUs are powerful enough to really make a difference with this in most real-world cases. How often is Mesa CPU bottlenecked with Intel graphics? I suppose laptops might see a performance boost, since the CPU portion tends to have much lower clocks and sometimes fewer cores.

Either way, this obviously isn't a bad thing - I'm certainly not complaining.

Comment

Where can we find a good list of whitelisted apps?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        Where can we find a good list of whitelisted apps?
        cat /etc/drirc

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I don't think Intel's GPUs are powerful enough to really make a difference with this in most real-world cases. How often is Mesa CPU bottlenecked with Intel graphics? I suppose laptops might see a performance boost, since the CPU portion tends to have much lower clocks and sometimes fewer cores.
          Well, reality is that not everybody uses fastest CPUs where this is by definition less (but still) an issue

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Well, reality is that not everybody uses fastest CPUs where this is by definition less (but still) an issue
            I agree, but I don't think even a non-overclocked desktop i3 is slow enough to not keep up with the GPU. If you've got a Pentium or Celeron, well, I think the CPU is going to be a bottleneck before the GPU.

Comment

I can see this being useful for apps making inefficient use of OpenGL (which is legitimate for things like emulators). Even if you are mostly GPU-bound this is going to bring a benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I agree, but I don't think even a non-overclocked desktop i3 is slow enough to not keep up with the GPU. If you've got a Pentium or Celeron, well, I think the CPU is going to be a bottleneck before the GPU.
                Well, CPU is not there just to feed GPU for rendering,in games it is there to do sound, network, physics, AI or anything else other than rendering.

Here mentioned emulators, they emulate devices via CPU so it is easy to be CPU bottlenecked on pretty much anything, rendering included

Comment

Working...
                X