NVIDIA Rolls Out Jetson TX1 Developer Board SE At $199 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post
    Why the heck would anyone would endure the pain of Windows, were basically everything and the command line stinks so much that Microsoft did this Bash on Windows Linux ABI thing, to develop for a (kinda) Linux target???
    Because most developers only use the IDE, as is normal in closed-source applications, where you can only use the vendor-provided IDE to target their hardware.

And smart ones even make Windows VMs run on a Windows host system because the IDE is a complete piece of shit and having it in the main Windows OS would murder the performance (they usually add a ton of crap update/license/whatever services and tray applets and whatever), and may conflict with other IDEs or mysteriously stop working after Windows updates, and usually don't run decently in a recent Windows, if at all.

Yeah, closed source world is this amazing. (not)
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 27 August 2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Because most developers only use the IDE, as is normal in closed-source applications, where you can only use the vendor-provided IDE to target their hardware.

And smart ones even make Windows VMs run on a Windows host system because the IDE is a complete piece of shit and having it in the main Windows OS would murder the performance (they usually add a ton of crap update/license/whatever services and tray applets and whatever), and may conflict with other IDEs or mysteriously stop working after Windows updates, and usually don't run decently in a recent Windows, if at all.

Yeah, closed source world is this amazing. (not)
      yeah, agree, just underlines my question: why would anyone develop on Windows? ;-) not

Comment

when the Shield TV came out, I wondered whether there would be much effort to boot generic linux on it, and was surprised when that didn't seem to be a popular option.
        I just did a quick google and found this
        So because Android can be kind of annoying sometimes for dev work, especially if you're just interested in working on the aarch64 JIT or GLES code, booting a Linux distro can be pretty useful. This gu

so at least it seems to be possible.

Comment

yeah, agree, just underlines my question: why would anyone develop on Windows? ;-) not
          Because if you just use the IDE then it's irrelevant.

In the case of Android, for example, most people use Android Studio.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Because if you just use the IDE then it's irrelevant.

In the case of Android, for example, most people use Android Studio.
            IDE is not hiding the Windows mess. Also not irrelevant spending money on the Windows license, wasting all the time and money with this win32 mess, not showing vendors that you prefer Linux for open, free, security, stability, configurability, performance, etc.?

Comment

Windows is, sadly, a corporate choice because sales, finance and admin dominate the needs of IT department, and they buy Windows for the software those departments need. Often Windows is only used as a thin client by developers to connect to Linux servers.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                That's some pretty exciting news. I see these ARM dev boards as a way to see how well desktop Linux could be run as ARM PCs. This actually made me look up how much a Snapdragon board would cost. Apparently, they cost around $260 for a Snapdragon 820 based solution: https://eragon.einfochips.com/produc...-q820-200.html
                Interesting, but it's nowhere near as close to an ARM-based PC as the Jetson TX1.
                • USB is only a couple 2.0 connections (and just one, if in device mode)
                • No DisplayPort, HDMI, or DVI
                • SATA is only via adapter, plugged into its (only) PCIe 2.0 x1 slot
                • No wired networking

No doubt it's good for some things, but surely not an ARM-based PC.

BTW, 4-5 years ago, I expected ARM-based mini-ITX and micro-ATX boards would be fairly commonplace, by now. I still think it'll happen, but maybe not as big as I expected. Also, mini-STX is an even more probable form-factor.
                Last edited by coder; 27 August 2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

yes, _CAN_ but unfortunately not at nvidia. where are the register level specs? the brave nouveau folks need to reverse everything, heck they at times even need to wait for "signed" firmware a year or longer.
                  and nvidia can not even release as boring as register specs for re-clocking and power managements?
                  You're confusing Linux support with Open Source Linux support. I get why you want the latter, but it's very different from saying Linux isn't supported.

Comment

The new khadas vim pro would probably make for an adequate lightweight desktop replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                      The new khadas vim pro would probably make for an adequate lightweight desktop replacement.
                      Still only 100 Mbps Ethernet (and only USB 2.0). So, I'd probably stick with the (cheaper) ODROID-C2, even though its CPU is clocked a bit lower.

Comment

Working...
                      X