AMD Announces Ryzen PRO, Mobile Parts In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    Say say that they support ecc memory modules but not that ecc is usable.
    No, that is what iirc Gigabyte says (support ECC memory in non-ECC mode).

ECC on ASRock AM4 mobos works, you can configure ECC related settings in UEFI setup. The operating system will be notified of memory errors.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      No, that is what iirc Gigabyte says (support ECC memory in non-ECC mode).
      they make it more clear, correct.

ECC on ASRock AM4 mobos works, you can configure ECC related settings in UEFI setup.
      That is different from series to series. but not even AMD support official ECC on ryzen. Its working and the board manufactures are responsible if they want to provide ecc.

But in the asrock documents about most boards are no precise information about ecc. most times only " support ecc memory"

if i want to know it it work i have to look at forums and not even this information are all times correct ( i want to reminder about the AM1 Platform and ECC support ) or buy boards and test it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

they make it more clear, correct.

That is different from series to series. but not even AMD support official ECC on ryzen. Its working and the board manufactures are responsible if they want to provide ecc.

But in the asrock documents about most boards are no precise information about ecc. most times only " support ecc memory"

if i want to know it it work i have to look at forums and not even this information are all times correct ( i want to reminder about the AM1 Platform and ECC support ) or buy boards and test it myself.
        It's kinda supported. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...deep-dive.html
        At least on linux the mobo checks it, corrects it, and gives the information to the os. But if you have a 2-bit error, the os doesn't shut down.
        So it depends on if you care about that.

But Ryzen Pro so therefore also doesn't officially really support it. No mention of ecc in the press release.

Comment

Wilfred
          I know about the hardwarecanucks article. The author erroneously claims that the operating system needs to shut down when an uncorrectable 2-bit error occurs. But that is not the case.

Since the new MCE handler in linux-2.6, only if kernel memory is affected by corruption then a panic will be triggered. If a userspace process is affected, then it will receive a SIGBUS. I pointed this out to the author, but he declined to make a correction to the article.

Comment

Wilfred
            Since the new MCE handler in linux-2.6, only if kernel memory is affected by corruption then a panic will be triggered. If a userspace process is affected, then it will receive a SIGBUS. I pointed this out to the author, but he declined to make a correction to the article.
            Okay. That's good to know. Then I'm relieved.

Comment

Wilfred
              I know about the hardwarecanucks article. The author erroneously claims that the operating system needs to shut down when an uncorrectable 2-bit error occurs. But that is not the case.

This is something they can swing back around and fix in software, like the IMMU thing, right? There are a few features that it seems they have a more vested interest in fixing on Epyc/Threadripper first. It seems more production users who need ECC would be on that platform.

Comment

What exactly needs to be fixed? Everything works as it should, at least with ASRock AM4 mobos.

Note that the new Linux MCE handler can stil revert to the old behavior (always panic on uncorrectable error) if you pass the mce=0 kernel parameter. But there is no point in doing so.

Comment

I have ECC memory in an ASRock motherboard (Taichi) with an AMD Ryzen 1700 processor and got several ECC error corrected messages in the console so ECC seems to work - at least for single-bit errors (which probably is what matters the most).

Comment

Just going to add to the list of ECC comp motherboards..
                    Gigabyte k7 and K5. All Asrock X370 boards, Asus Prime x370-pro.

On kernel 4.11, dmidecode finds the ecc modules in both Gigabyte K7 and Asus prime:

Handle 0x0032, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
                    Physical Memory Array
                    Use: System Memory
                    Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
                    Maximum Capacity: 16 GB
                    Error Information Handle: 0x0031
                    Number Of Devices: 4

Bank Locator: BANK 1
                    Type: DDR4
                    Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
                    Speed: 2400 MHz
                    Manufacturer: Kingston
                    Kind regads
                    Brutalix

Comment

Working...
                    X