Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Clear Linux On AMD's Ryzen + X370: Still Competitive Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running Clear Linux On AMD's Ryzen + X370: Still Competitive Performance

    Phoronix: Running Clear Linux On AMD's Ryzen + X370: Still Competitive Performance

    I'm working on an AMD Ryzen Linux distribution benchmark comparison and will have those results to publish soon using a Ryzen 7 1800X. One of the interesting distributions I was curious about its Ryzen performance with was Intel's Clear Linux distribution. It turns out it runs and there are scenarios of it having better performance than Ubuntu...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x-On-AMD-Ryzen

  • #2
    I would be really interested in seeing how a native optimized Gentoo does on Ryzen with PTS. Somebody must have emerged @world on Ryzen by now??? :-)

    Comment


    • #3
      Mixed bag i would rather say, as 6 out 12 test results show faster here - slower there

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
        I would be really interested in seeing how a native optimized Gentoo does on Ryzen with PTS. Somebody must have emerged @world on Ryzen by now??? :-)
        I'm still waiting for a mainboard

        Comment


        • #5
          Clear Linux on AMD platform? that's new

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
            Clear Linux on AMD platform? that's new
            They enabled AMD support since 4.9.2 kernel build AFAIR... so yeah it is new

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dungeon View Post

              They enabled AMD support since 4.9.2 kernel build AFAIR... so yeah it is new
              Holy cow, you must read every changelog of every upstream project :P. How do you keep up?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

                Holy cow, you must read every changelog of every upstream project :P. How do you keep up?
                Originally posted by dungeon View Post

                They enabled AMD support since 4.9.2 kernel build AFAIR... so yeah it is new
                They've had AMD support for a long time, as far as I know they never disabled the kernel support in the first place.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  They've had AMD support for a long time, as far as I know they never disabled the kernel support in the first place.
                  See there - first enabled 2 months ago on jan 13. 2017. So as of 4.9.3 kernel:

                  https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...1fbe5f70660655

                  Before that, as far as history goes there to 4.2+ kernels it was always disabled... disabled since beginning of the project if you want
                  Last edited by dungeon; 03-13-2017, 08:07 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    now that *is* interesting. There might be some kernel optimisation work to do for Ryzen. then again, these could be physical limitations of the arch

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X