Running Clear Linux On AMD's Ryzen + X370: Still Competitive Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Clear Linux On AMD's Ryzen + X370: Still Competitive Performance

Phoronix: Running Clear Linux On AMD's Ryzen + X370: Still Competitive Performance

I'm working on an AMD Ryzen Linux distribution benchmark comparison and will have those results to publish soon using a Ryzen 7 1800X. One of the interesting distributions I was curious about its Ryzen performance with was Intel's Clear Linux distribution. It turns out it runs and there are scenarios of it having better performance than Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be really interested in seeing how a native optimized Gentoo does on Ryzen with PTS. Somebody must have emerged @world on Ryzen by now??? :-)

Comment

Mixed bag i would rather say, as 6 out 12 test results show faster here - slower there

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
        I would be really interested in seeing how a native optimized Gentoo does on Ryzen with PTS. Somebody must have emerged @world on Ryzen by now??? :-)
        I'm still waiting for a mainboard

Comment

Clear Linux on AMD platform? that's new

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
            Clear Linux on AMD platform? that's new
            They enabled AMD support since 4.9.2 kernel build AFAIR... so yeah it is new

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Holy cow, you must read every changelog of every upstream project :P. How do you keep up?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Holy cow, you must read every changelog of every upstream project :P. How do you keep up?
                Originally posted by dungeon View Post

They've had AMD support for a long time, as far as I know they never disabled the kernel support in the first place.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  They've had AMD support for a long time, as far as I know they never disabled the kernel support in the first place.
                  See there - first enabled 2 months ago on jan 13. 2017. So as of 4.9.3 kernel:

https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...1fbe5f70660655

Before that, as far as history goes there to 4.2+ kernels it was always disabled... disabled since beginning of the project if you want
                  Last edited by dungeon; 13 March 2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

now that *is* interesting. There might be some kernel optimisation work to do for Ryzen. then again, these could be physical limitations of the arch

Comment

Working...
                    X