No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering our HTPC software is compiled with just SSE2 and 64bit to get maximum compatibility with customer systems I'd be interested in how baseline performance is on these using the same executables, not executables customized per cpu!

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

im not kidding, some multi thread benchmarks are not having a good score in the last page michael comments it
      but yeah, ryzen is amazing, the most disruptive processor of this century (for now)
      I found a few results where supposedly multi-threaded software clearly wasn't scaling. Because not only did the Ryzen result not compete with the 7700K, etc, but the 5960X also didn't, and a lower-threaded core (7700K) got better results (from having a higher clock and slightly better IPC than these two).

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

im not kidding, some multi thread benchmarks are not having a good score in the last page michael comments it
        but yeah, ryzen is amazing, the most disruptive processor of this century (for now)
        How does it compare to the Athlon 64 (from 2003 if Wikipedia is correct) in disruptiveness?

Comment

It's been a while since I've seen any AMD CPU come on top of any CPU-only benchmarks.

Comment

Holy shit.

I just read through these benchmarks on Phoronix as I'm getting up for work so I haven't read any comments yet.

AMD set out to compete with the 6800k, and that's what they did. They seem to beat the 6800k in the vast majority of these benchmarks in both multithreaded and single threaded situations. VERY impressive!

I am (was) a proud 6800k owner myself. Enjoying overall great performance, as well as taking advantage of fast compilation speeds, being able to run tests with multiple virtual machines, and so on. Gaming performance is also quite good on the 6800k (but obviously not the best). In spite of AMD trailing for many years, etc, they managed to give the 6800k overall a very good beating.

We clearly see the 7700k dominate in single threaded tests. This is not surprising, and the 6800k fairs even worse. In a world that is becoming increasingly more multithreaded, I think this is generally okay, and I think overall the AMD single threaded performance is pretty acceptable compared to the 7700k and overall very good. (I must feel this way, afterall, I'm rocking a 6800k ).

I don't know if i'll be upgrading just yet. I'm using all 8 of my dimm slots (128GB memory), and I'm using 32 of my 40 PCIE lanes... But 128GB is overkill for even what I do, and 8 of those PCIE lanes that I use are for a 10Gbe NIC that might be better served in one of my other machines.

Anyway, kudos to to AMD. You pulled off what most thought was impossible (including me!!). We're not seeing quite the gaps that we saw back in the Pentium 4 days, but this is more than good enough. I have some builds queued up for family members, I will definitely be going with AMD for at least those.

Does anyone know if the Ryzen still support ECC? Could be a great chip for home servers if they do.

Comment

phoronix , glad you got a review sample in time - Unfortunately I'm having different results. (Note: I also have the GIGABYTE board versus MSI, all other parts should match)

Tried throwing in 17.04 and getting journal start errors. Going to give it another go though after you said yours worked without issue.

Comment

Nice! 16 threads for a bargain
                Looks like Ryzen is great for compile / development machines. Guess I'll buy an R1700X once motherbaord prices settle and availability is increased.

Comment

Stock config is less interesting to me, I'd like to see how 1800x performs on 7700k's frequencies, since overclocking should be well supported on this CPU&Motherboard combo.

Comment

I have a feeling that, with compiler optimization (there's probably very little support for the Zen IPC improvements), Linux updates, and microcode development from AMD Ryzen line could even come closer to those places where the 7700K beat it out. Lets remember that Intel has been pushing small IPC improvements (about 15% per release cycle) and haven't revolutionized much, so they've been able to move more closely update the associated toolchains.

I'm glad I pre-ordered; I believe enthusiasts will have competition once again and that's good for everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by daemon32 View Post
                      Any word on ACS/PCIe forwarding support? Has that landed in the kernel yet even for Summit Ridge?
                      Really interested to know as well, Ryzen would be one killer VM host with a couple of GPUs.
                      I have seen some kernel commits regarding the IOMMU stuff, but I´m not sure what the status is.

Comment

Working...
                      X