Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you could plug there u.2 drive via adapter
    Guess what U.2 uses: PCIe, not SATA! Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      You don't get it: current M.2 SSDs don't use SATA at all, they use PCIe only!
      I really don't get it, Amazon has over 1,000 SATA SSD models listed. Plus, there's the existing installed base. I have 3 drives and none of them are NVMe.

Comment

People that does not read manufacturer websites, people that does not read manufacturer websites everywhere.

There is no mention of m.2 usage disabling Sata ports.
        It mentions that back panel USB 3.1 ports are run by an Asmedia controller (third party stuff) which is understandable (pcie from cpu/chipset needs less lines than 2 usb 3.1 ports from chipset, that's a sad fact of life, until they integrate the controller in the CPU it's a PITA to get many USB 3.0/1 lines to the back panel)
        It mentions that the chipset provides a USB 3.1 port, which is on a header for front panel use.

2x PCI-e x1 slots are sharing bandwith with the third "x16" (actually x4) slot.

No ECC support so no thanks.

The ROM chip is 128 MB. HOLY FUCK, I CAN FIT A FULL EMBEDDED LINUX SYSTEM IN THERE, I really hope it's mostly empty and just used because it's the cheaper kind of chip available.

Comment

You don't get it: current M.2 SSDs don't use SATA at all, they use PCIe only!
          Irrelevant, M.2 spec mandates that for "m" keyed slots they must also support Sata and SMBus, so they will have to route Sata lines in there too.

Which imho it's total bullshit spec, Sata does not really belong in there, but heh.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I really don't get it, Amazon has over 1,000 SATA SSD models listed. Plus, there's the existing installed base. I have 3 drives and none of them are NVMe.
            NVMe is the newest and coolest, it does not matter that you could just use one of the zillions of 10$ pcie adapters with heatsink on a normal x4 PCIE slot, they MUST integrate it in the mobo, wasting space, making a SSD-only connector (that form factor is used ony by SSDs and some wifi cards that don't really need x4 PCIE bandwith) and forcing stupid compromises because of required Sata interface in there.

On laptops M.2 is a godsend instead. That's the reason it exists and where it really belongs.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 27 February 2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              People that does not read manufacturer websites, people that does not read manufacturer websites everywhere.
              I was just expressing a concern base how things are now. If manufacturer did it with Intel mobos, there's a chance they' do it with AMD mobos as well. I wasn't suggesting it was a certainty, just a thing to look out for.
              And I mentioned third party controllers because I was burnt once (albeit for a short while) by an AsMedia controller.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I really don't get it, ...
                How true, unfortunately!

Amazon has over 1,000 SATA SSD models listed.
                And all these over 1,000 SATA SSD models are M.2 models? :-O

I have 3 drives and none of them are NVMe
                You can use PCIe with AHCI too. You don't need NVMe.
                Last edited by drSeehas; 27 February 2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Irrelevant, M.2 spec mandates that for "m" keyed slots they must also support Sata and SMBus, so they will have to route Sata lines in there too. ...
                  Irrelevant, as long as the M.2 SSD doesn't use these SATA lines.
                  If it would be relevant, you couldn't use the shared SATA ports at all, even if the M.2 slot isn't populated.

Comment

bug77 Heh, I mostly reacted to the people that posted articles with claims and slides when they could have just gone and looked at a reliable source like a manufacturer's mobo specs, your sata/M.2 concern was just a secondary target.

And yes, CrapMedia is well-known also in Windows camp.

Comment

Irrelevant, as long as the M.2 SSD doesn't use these SATA lines.
                      If it would be relevant, you couldn't use the shared SATA ports at all, even if the M.2 slot isn't populated.
                      It does not work like that, if the interface mandates that the slot MUST provide X, Y and Z interfaces, the slot MUST provide them regardless of what is actually used.

If more stuff is connected, then board firmware in its infinite wisdom decides to shaft one of the two devices at random, or to lock up the system completely and throw an obscure error somewhere or with beeps.

Most boards I know (that have this stupid shared setup) actually disable the relevant Sata ports even if there is a pcie ssd in the M.2 or disable the pcie lines if I connect a Sata-only drive in a Sata-Express slot.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 27 February 2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X