AMD Announces PRO A-Series Carrizo APUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Of course it is. What I meant is: will it beat intel in performance or battery life?
    It really doesn't matter whether it "beats" Intel in either...if it can produce solid results in both at a decent price point.
    One item it does beat Intel on is H265 hardware acceleration, which Intel doesn't have.

One thing we would all benefit from is just decent competition in the middle. Then Intel may feel compelled not to drop new cpu's to avoid stealing sales from some of their other chips. It did this with one of their most recent designs.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
      Not exactly interesting news. They need to get Zen-based APU/CPUs out already, and they need to be decent.
      Zen should be nice, yes, but that takes nothing away from the fact the Carrizo is a good chip that is already in the channel.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
        Not exactly interesting news. They need to get Zen-based APU/CPUs out already, and they need to be decent.
        No my boy they need to get Zen+ out already, because original Zen not decent already

Not sure where you get info that Zen should be already out - out already?
        Last edited by dungeon; 01 October 2015, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post

It really doesn't matter whether it "beats" Intel in either...if it can produce solid results in both at a decent price point.
          I disagree. I don't think AMD is in a situation where it can both compete at "decent price points" and stay in business much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I disagree. I don't think AMD is in a situation where it can both compete at "decent price points" and stay in business much longer.
            Based on what information? AMD has spent most of its life as the value oriented alternative to intel. There are a few exceptions of course, the Thunderbird Athlons, and the early years of Opteron, both were "intel killers". Today especially, intel chip prices are sky high, as they've got a market monopoly. If AMD can deliver 90% of the performance, at 60% of the price, that's a winning formula. Remember, the vast vast majority of consumers do not buy the top tier highest end chip. They buy something in the mid range, where the price/performance ratio is greatest.

AMD's problem today is not that their products aren't competitive - it's that they have no products. They need Zen as soon as humanly possible. Their datacenter offerings haven't been refreshed since 2012, meanwhile intel is ticking and tocking. We bought $100,000 of AMD servers a few years back. I don't think I can justify buying servers with 2012 CPU's here in 2015 however.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 01 October 2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
              There it goes again... "Unapproved." Pardon me for going off-topic, but do all the posts have to be approved by moderators?
              And there's a check button right next to "#x unapproved." As soon as I refresh the page, my previous post disappeared.

Happy to see I am not the only one with this strange problem sometimes. Like Michael had the time to approve evey post before it becomes visible.

It's sad that Carrizo seems not to be available as non-laptop / non-soldered solution yet. Unless projects like openlunchbox would get into their socks and start building a decent laptop machine with it.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
              X