Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i5 6600K Skylake CPU Arrives: What Linux Tests Would You Like To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The iGPU in a test of Haswell vs Broadwell vs Skylake.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th
      If anybody is willing to put together S3TC vs. ASTC automated texture compression tests, I'll be sure to donate you some money.
      I could build one, how much we talking? I don't have any ASTC-capable hardware though, so I could only test mesa's software ASTC paths (those that convert them to uncompressed textures).

Comment

Oh, the ASTC support has not been merged yet. So couldn't test ASTC at all, better delay until then in any case.

Comment

Skylake has full hardware hevc decoding support and hybrid support of VP9 decoding, i'd like you to compare the cpu usage of playing 1080p 30fps hevc and vp9 and compare them to haswell or broadwell so we can see what difference in power consumption skylake has made for video playback.

Comment

I'd like some old fashioned compilation of the linux kernel testing, using all the cores possible and the best SSD you have.

Comment

I'd love to see the performance difference that TSX instructions make on an app with hundreds or thousands of concurrent threads. I'm not sure if you need the Intel compiler for that or if GCC/LLVM support them now too.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Oh, the ASTC support has not been merged yet. So couldn't test ASTC at all, better delay until then in any case.
                I'll get back to you once things are in place.

Comment

I'm mainly interested in motherboard coverage, as in how well the chipset and the most common audio/networking chips are supported. Many z170 motherboards use killer nic 2200 or 2400..

also with z170 comes the possibility of 2x or 3x M.2 in NVMe mode, and seeing how well that is supported under linux would be very very interesting.

with some windows tests out there showing up towards 3.6GB/s reads, I'm having these insense cravings of raided samsung SM951 M.2 drives for my root file system..

the problem is that samsung only sells AHCI atm, but rumor has it that it's just different firmwares..

Comment

Intel HD Graphics 530 Skylake Linux benchmarks - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...l-hd-530&num=1
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X