Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i5 6600K Skylake CPU Arrives: What Linux Tests Would You Like To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anybody is willing to put together S3TC vs. ASTC automated texture compression tests, I'll be sure to donate you some money.

Comment

id like to see benchmarks showing off the nice new avx512 vector units! oh wait, they decided to strip those out of the desktop parts. thanks for the disappointment, intel.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That's a setup for disappointment. I'm sure are a lot of people that would love to see it, but we already know it'll be bad for AMD on the CPU side.

There's nothing wrong that comparison, it's just lopsided.
        Oh I know it'll be lopsided, but its good for context. I know AMD will get shredded in the CPU benchmarks, but that's why I included the GPU benchmarks in there as well. That will be the more "interesting" look, to see how much Intel's iGPU's have improved.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
          id like to see benchmarks showing off the nice new avx512 vector units! oh wait, they decided to strip those out of the desktop parts. thanks for the disappointment, intel.
          Not the Xeons. I THINK it will be included in the Xeon E3's, which are priced for "consumers."
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Festbier in August, Michael is driving the seasonal creep.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Not the Xeons. I THINK it will be included in the Xeon E3's, which are priced for "consumers."
              I doubt it will be Xeon E3s. Traditionally, the E3s have been the exact same chips as the consumer version but without disabled features, like ECC (in Core i5 and Core i7) or VT-d (in Core i3). If the E3s have AVX512 that would mean the Cores have it too but its fused off. Not impossible, of course. Maybe they did it for power saving reasons in - with Skylake we have increased TDP regardless of the finer technology (WTF?! Well, the GPU is beefed up from 20 to 24 units, but still). I think its much more likely that we'll first see AVX512 in Skylake-E(P) which is probably at least a year away.

BTW, there's an interesting interview with David Kanter on Skylake at the TechReport. You should check it out.

Comment

Compute power/Energy unit. Comparision to Broadwell similarly positioned CPU atleast.
                Linux idle power, same dist/kernel. Broadwell comparision.
                Memory backend stride with DDR3/DDR4.

I'd like a dump of all oddball kernel messages from this new platform too.
                Broadwell is still giving tons of ACPI errors and other odd warning/errors on new kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Thanks for subscribing, when commenting via forums isn't so easily to tell who is premium trivially, perhaps something I should better indicate
                  Since you're weighting premium requests more than from normal users you definitely should
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'd like it to be compared to Intel Core i5 2500(K), which has been the most successful Intel CPU in history.

As for tests, please compare it in:[b]
                    1) Various JS benchmarks (SunSpider, Octane, Kraken, V8).
                    2) x264/x265 encoding.
                    3) WinRAR built-in benchmark in single and multithreaded mode (it runs just fine under Wine).
                    4) `7z b`
                    5) I'd love to see how fast LibreOffice run various macros but I haven't seen such benchmarks on the net. For a start you could try opening the long document from this URL: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/...g.cgi?id=39179 and measure how much time it requires.

If you go without these tests, I won't read your review. I'm sorry Michael, but the various BS that you you usually use to compare CPUs is just plain ridiculous. Like QBench and other absolutely deprecated and worthless tests.

Comment

GPU speed test between 5775C vs 6600k would be nice.
                      Rob
                      email: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X