Intel Releases Its First Skylake CPUs: Core i7 6700K & Core i5 6600K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillBroadley View Post
    Has anyone actually seen the i5-5675c in stock? Where?
    Not a problem getting it in Europe: http://geizhals.eu/intel-core-i5-567...-a1275321.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Broadwell is gonna be scarce-- no one really cares about it. By the time it launched everyone was already talking about Skylake. And no, I haven't seen any standalone CPU's. I've seen a few ads come up saying they are in desktops from like iBuyPower, but not on their own.
      I wouldn't say no one. The i5-5675 has a great embedded GPU. If you decent 2d/3d without a discrete card the i5-5675's HD6200 is pretty nice. The intel drivers are nearly as good as nvidia's as far as stability goes, way better than AMD, and easier to manage (being open source). I was looking to build a small very quiet desktop and the i5-5675 looks very attractive. The GPU performance difference vs any of the other intel or AMD CPUs is quite large.

Sure it's not a GTX 970 killer, but if you want to spend less and quiet is a priority the i5 looks like a good deal.
      Last edited by BillBroadley; 06 August 2015, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Not overly impressed by Skylake. Way too high TDP (atleast the reviewed CPU in question) for the marginal gain over previous gens.
        Seems like Intel broke / leveled out the trend of lowering TDP for each generation?
        I'd be real interested in compute/energy unit benchmarks. Hopefully the real typical power consumption has come down even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          Yes, but only 8-bit. And unlike h264, a lot of hevc content will be 10-bit.
          Is the AMD Stuff better in handling H.265?

Comment

I really want a Skylake CPU, preferred in a nice 4k laptop... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by BillBroadley View Post

Great, another paper launch. I still can't buy the CPUs from the last broadwell paper launch. Has anyone actually seen the i5-5675c in stock? Where?
              Both i5-5675 and 6600K are available in Europe already. Are we the new beta-testers?

Anyway considering the price for DDR4 + compatible motherboard for 0 to 10% performance gain this 6600K is a joke...

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                Seems like Intel broke / leveled out the trend of lowering TDP for each generation?
                These are "K" variants. They're meant for overclocking, power efficiency isn't a priority. Wait for regular and "S" variants.

Originally posted by dibal View Post
                Is the AMD Stuff better in handling H.265?
                Fiji doesn't have 10-bit either, don't know about Carrizo, but it probably doesn't have it. That means only Nvidia's GTX960 has it.

Who cares about hevc anyway, its licensing situation is a mess (meaning it might be a while before content distributors adopt it) and for resolutions up to and including full HD (1920x1080) h264 is better.

Comment

Just checked amazon. There's a dozen or so companies willing to sell the previous generation broadwell i5. All around $100 over MSRP and claiming delivery windows starting in the first week of Sept. Prebuilt systems from cyberpower using the broadwell i5 are listed, claiming 4+ week delivery times.

Comment

Working...
                  X