No announcement yet.

MIPS Loongson 3A Benchmarks On Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your app is single threaded itself there is nothing you can do. Of course usually 2 cores help even in that case as you usually run more than one app - on win 2 cores give the most performance boost because of the antivirus tool. The diff between 2 and 3/4 cores and up is for office/internet use really unimportant. Only 1 game (rage) wants to use 6 cores in a special mode to enhance textures when there is no cuda available (that means with radeon cards). Some other engines might use 3 cores - 4 cores maybe. 3 cores is more common because the xbox 360 is a triple core and when the engine runs there and works well it has got already 3 core support (in best case). But tell me how you can increase speed with a single threaded app? Like how to improve povray speed? Usually all you can do is to use a system with very good single core speed (that usually means intel cpu).

Comment

• Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
      Sure but the TDP of the Loongson3A is 15 watt.
      The ACP of the amd cpu is ~90watt
      9ACP vs 90 ACP or 15watt TDP vs 125watt TDP

the result is always the same the loongson is better per watt.
      Keep in mind also that the Loongson 3A is a generation of processes behind the phenom II. (65nm vs 45)

The design has potential.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Nope, you did. You lose.
        Just tell me why do modern/future intel cpus second core 1/0 loading assistance for the first core in single-threaded tasks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Of course usually 2 cores help even in that case as you usually run more than one app - on win 2 cores give the most performance boost because of the antivirus tool. The diff between 2 and 3/4 cores and up is for office/internet use really unimportant.
          thats right 2 cores are fine to make sure you get the right speed but you can use more cores if you use crypted hard-drives for example.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          But tell me how you can increase speed with a single threaded app? Like how to improve povray speed? Usually all you can do is to use a system with very good single core speed (that usually means intel cpu).
          Originally posted by Kano View Post
          If your app is single threaded itself there is nothing you can do.
          (1)pre-caching with the second core.
          (2)all other system OS tasks fit into the second core.
          (3)on windows the antivirus tool fit in the second core.
          (4)on linux the encryption of the hard-drive fit into the other cores.
          (5) NUMA effects Single-thread apps on multi socket systems the L3 cache of all cpus are used to cache the single threaded process.
          (6) more ram over NUMA more ram means more speed if the working task is bigger.
          (7)Future intel cpus will do 1/0 assistance on a second core to speed up single thread applications.

just some examples a modern OS do not have only 1 thread a modern os do have many threads!

Comment

Just tell me why do modern/future intel cpus second core 1/0 loading assistance for the first core in single-threaded tasks?
            This sentence is completely unintelligible, so I'll stick with my original thought, which was:

You lose.

Comment

This sentence is completely unintelligible, so I'll stick with my original thought, which was:

You lose.
              just explain me the other arguments to:

(3)on linux the encryption of the hard-drive fit into the other cores.
              (4) NUMA effects Single-thread apps on multi socket systems the L3 cache of all cpus are used to cache the single threaded process.
              (5) more ram over NUMA more ram means more speed if the working task is bigger.
              (6) 4mb L2 cache vs 1mb L1 cache in the emulation.

A single socket system like the amd 8150 do have at maximum 32gb ram a dual socket g34 socket system do have 128gb ram with the same ram 8gb ram modules full loaded on all places.
              its 32gb ram vs 128 gb ram and you can use this in a single "thread"
              Same with the cache a opteron 6300 dualsocket system do have 32mb L3 cache useable over the numa architecture in a single thread.
              A modern OS do have many threads this means the multi core system can handle all other threads this speed up the main used thread.

Comment

• Or to be more specific a single socket loongson 3A system do have at maximum 8gb ram but a dual socket loongson 3A system do have 16gb ram. This means you can use 16gb ram in a single thread.
                This speed up a "Single-thread" application even if you don't use more than 1 core.

Comment

just explain me the other arguments to:

(3)on linux the encryption of the hard-drive fit into the other cores.
                  (4) NUMA effects Single-thread apps on multi socket systems the L3 cache of all cpus are used to cache the single threaded process.
                  (5) more ram over NUMA more ram means more speed if the working task is bigger.
                  (6) 4mb L2 cache vs 1mb L1 cache in the emulation.

A single socket system like the amd 8150 do have at maximum 32gb ram a dual socket g34 socket system do have 128gb ram with the same ram 8gb ram modules full loaded on all places.
                  its 32gb ram vs 128 gb ram and you can use this in a single "thread"
                  Same with the cache a opteron 6300 dualsocket system do have 32mb L3 cache useable over the numa architecture in a single thread.
                  A modern OS do have many threads this means the multi core system can handle all other threads this speed up the main used thread.
                  Explain why my arguments are wrong. They aren't.

You lose.

Comment

Be sure i did not fell into his trap! I know many tests single core vs dual-core cpu with only single-thread workload.
                    Example? With hard numbers on a web site with good reputation.

I gave him the right answer not the answer he expected and not the answer he think what is right.
                    No you gave a bogus answer.

Higher clock speed is a invalid argument for an cpu like the Loongson because the cpu design do not allow you to clock higher and back in the time of the athelon64 dualcores vs singlecore the cpu design also do not allow a higher clock speed you can clock the dualcore versions as high as the single clock version if your cooling system is good. because its the cpu design what limit your clock speed.
                    If you have multiple cores, you have to take care of coherence and you have to share hardware resources (such as external bus), so this might have an impact on maximum clock because you might add delay on a critical path (look up that term with google).

Your algorithms argument is also invalid because you can speedup a single thread so much by multicore assisted calculations that no single-core cpu can compete with that.
                    You can do Speculative calculations on the second core to speed up.
                    You can use the second core to assist caching the hard-drive and pre-caching the hard-drive.
                    Then your application is not single threaded any more.

We were talking about very simple benchmarks. Go re-read the article you linked yourself. And lookup with Google what these benchmarks are. Instead of talking, read and learn.

You can also improve the single thread performance with multicore by using thread level speculation (TLS)
                    You can Boosting Single-thread Performance in Multi-core Systems through Fine-Grain Multi-Threading.
                    And Loongson doesn't have anything like that.

I'm close to think you are just a troll: as soon as you can't answer something, you derail the discussion. That's a real pain and makes me sad for you because you could learn a lot of things by thinking and reading what others have to say instead of wanting to be right at any cost.

Comment

Explain why my arguments are wrong. They aren't.

You lose.
                      what arguments? you have no arguments.

Comment

Working...
                      X