Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.10 AES-XTS For Disk/File Encryption As Much As ~155% Faster For AMD Zen 4 CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 AES-XTS For Disk/File Encryption As Much As ~155% Faster For AMD Zen 4 CPUs

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 AES-XTS For Disk/File Encryption As Much As ~155% Faster For AMD Zen 4 CPUs

For those making use of AES-XTS crypto for the likes of disk and file encryption on x86_64 CPUs, the upcoming Linux 6.10 kernel cycle is bringing some very tantalizing improvements especially if you are running recent AMD and Intel processors. With AMD Zen 4 processors the benefits can be as much as 155% faster while even Intel Ice Lake and Sapphire Rapids server processors can enjoy 127~151% faster AES-XTS-256...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Already wondered why there was no info about that, but there it is.

Already used in the CachyOS Kernel and its running great so far on my Zen4 machine. Really great work.

Comment

Sorry, but I dislike the headline. It gives the impression this is an AMD exclusive gain, but in fact intel does not only have a very similar gain (+155% vs +151%, who cares?), but is in fact even faster in absolute numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
        Sorry, but I dislike the headline. It gives the impression this is an AMD exclusive gain, but in fact intel does not only have a very similar gain (+155% vs +151%, who cares?), but is in fact even faster in absolute numbers.
        I really don't see what the problem is with the headline... Titles can only be so long and the Zen 4 gains are the greatest, they are also the most impactful given the Zen 4 cores from desktop/mobile to servers and not impacted by any AVX-512 downclocking, while the greatest Intel gains are with Sapphire Rapids server chips that are a smaller subset of interest to readers compared to mobile/desktop/server Zen 4. If users click the article they see the impact on other Intel/AMD CPU generations.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
          Ice Lake and Sapphire Rapids are Xeon chips, so if you're just looking at desktops then it is largely an AMD gain. Intel abandoned AVX-512 after the 11th gen on the desktop, but AMD picked it up. AVX-512 was criticized at first, and even Torvalds said he hoped AVX-512 'dies a painful death'. But as it turns out, AVX-512 is actually really good.

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post
            Already wondered why there was no info about that, but there it is.

Already used in the CachyOS Kernel and its running great so far on my Zen4 machine. Really great work.
            As in, the current 6.8.4 or some development version?

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post

As in, the current 6.8.4 or some development version?
              Its included starting from 6.8.3 and 6.9.rc3

Comment

Yeah, can't wait till it hits arch. LUKS FDE all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I really don't see what the problem is with the headline... Titles can only be so long and the Zen 4 gains are the greatest, they are also the most impactful given the Zen 4 cores from desktop/mobile to servers and not impacted by any AVX-512 downclocking, while the greatest Intel gains are with Sapphire Rapids server chips that are a smaller subset of interest to readers compared to mobile/desktop/server Zen 4. If users click the article they see the impact on other Intel/AMD CPU generations.
                  I agree that there is no real problem, just take it as a feedback about the impressions of a random visitor. My first impression of the headline was that only AMD is affected by this patch, while in fact it is far from being AMD specific but quite generic. As my current AES work horse file server is intel based, I was close to skipping this article, and maybe I am not the only one.

Comment

Oooh this is amazing

Comment

Working...
                    X