Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RISC-V Adding Kernel-Mode FPU For Linux 6.10 To Enable Recent AMD Display Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V Adding Kernel-Mode FPU For Linux 6.10 To Enable Recent AMD Display Support

Phoronix: RISC-V Adding Kernel-Mode FPU For Linux 6.10 To Enable Recent AMD Display Support

With the upcoming Linux 6.10 kernel cycle, the RISC-V architecture code is seeing kernel-mode FPU. This kernel floating point support is needed for the AMDGPU kernel graphics driver and particular its DCN display code. In turn this should allow recent AMD Radeon graphics cards to work on RISC-V with display support using the company's open-source driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty cool that finally –over two years later– this RISCV64 RDNA and newer amdgpu work of this YouTuber who shall not be named is finally getting upstream! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4-_a_3BKg ;-) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by rene; 08 April 2024, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      Pretty cool that finally –over two years later– this RISCV64 RDNA and newer amdgpu work of this YouTuber who shall not be named is finally getting upstream! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4-_a_3BKg ;-) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      to me it really sounds strange for over 30+ years the linux kernel people told us that the linux kernel do not need to support loating point FPU math...

but good job rene you are a hero. overcome a 30 year old stigma to not support FPU in the kernel is a bonus
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

to me it really sounds strange for over 30+ years the linux kernel people told us that the linux kernel do not need to support loating point FPU math...

but good job rene you are a hero. overcome a 30 year old stigma to not support FPU in the kernel is a bonus
        Have you looked at what a mess floating point is on x86?

Why does a display driver need floating point?

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
          Have you looked at what a mess floating point is on x86?
          well i can say for sure that x86 is not only a mess in case of floating point ...

its for many years clear that x86 is broken by design and a mess...

if you see benchmarks of Snapdragon X Elite ​it becomes clear that in notebooks x86 is more or less obsolete.

"Why does a display driver need floating point?"

i really don't know...
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
            The bandwidth management code needs it. It uses a software model of the display block to validate the requested display configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The bandwidth management code needs it. It uses a software model of the display block to validate the requested display configuration.
              why is fractional math not enough there? or do you need to load gpu registers with the ieee754 format?

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

why is fractional math not enough there? or do you need to load gpu registers with the ieee754 format?
                The model is also used for a number of purposes outside of the driver and it was not feasible to rewrite it and revalidate it using fixed point math.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

It's a copy of their windows code.

AGX also has to do fp math for their apple gpu driver. I believe it pulls ieee values out of the firmware and needs to do some simple math on them to program registers. I think it has something to do with power management, if i recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
                  X