AMD Posts Updated Linux Patches For P-State Core Performance Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts Updated Linux Patches For P-State Core Performance Boost

Phoronix: AMD Posts Updated Linux Patches For P-State Core Performance Boost

While AMD P-State driver's Preferred Core support was merged for Linux 6.9, another notable addition to this driver is still undergoing the patch review process: Core Performance Boost...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not only that these patches supposedly fix setting min/max CPU cores frequencies, a feature I requested almost two years ago.

Sadly, you'll have to wait until 6.9 before you can use this.

At least amd-pstate should now be better than intel-pstate which AFAIK lacks frequency control.

Comment

Ah so hopefully 6.10 by the end of the year will have everything working then.

Comment

Still faster then GNOME process with development and merging PRs.
        if you triggered by this joke, you lose

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
          Still faster then GNOME process with development and merging PRs.
          if you triggered by this joke, you lose
          I was going to make a joke about being triggered by the grammar and small font, but I can tell English isn't your first language so I'm just going to say that "then" is used when referring to a point in time and "than" is used when comparing, you should include "the" before GNOME (it's a direct article), and I think you just forgot the word "get" in "get triggered".

Still faster than the GNOME process with development and merging PRs.
          if you get triggered by this joke, you lose

Comment

Finally no more cpupower hacks.

Comment

If I'm understanding correctly, this patch series seems dubious. It's appears to be just a special button for setting scaling_max_freq = nominal_freq on all cores. If userspace wants to do that, can we already just... do it? Why does there need to be a particular sysfs file named after some BIOS setting?

What am I missing here?

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Not only that these patches supposedly fix setting min/max CPU cores frequencies, a feature I requested almost two years ago.

Sadly, you'll have to wait until 6.9 before you can use this.

At least amd-pstate should now be better than intel-pstate which AFAIK lacks frequency control.
              If this sentence in your linked documentation is true, it doesn't seem to lack?

intel_pstate allows P-state limits to be set in two ways: with the help of the max_perf_pct and min_perf_pct global attributes or via the scaling_max_freq and scaling_min_freq CPUFreq policy attributes.​
              Last edited by yump; 19 March 2024, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post

If this sentence in your linked documentation is true, it doesn't seem to lack?
                Good catch, sorry for the misinformation, I glanced over it and was quite inattentive. I need to check how it works on my laptop because it looks like this feature wasn't available in this driver earlier.

Comment

Perhaps somebody can help here.
                  I'm running proxmox on my zen2 threadripper.
                  Promox uses a debian based distro.
                  Is there any popular kernel release (with a debian-based repo) which contains these patches which are not upstreamed yet?
                  I keep building my own kernel, but it's tiresome to keep track of the patches.

Comment

Working...
                  X