Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GhostRace Detailed - Speculative Race Conditions Affecting All Major CPUs / ISAs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

You misunderstood Michael, he meant to say that GhostRace is a AAA race game running on the latest Unreal Engine. Since everybody is playing it some CPUs might be slower at running other tasks in the background. That's all it is. Have a good night and sleep well
    SCHED_IDLE and no more issues.

Good night? It's afternoon here

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I am fed up with all these vulnerabilities that appear from time to time. I bought an i7, not a 6502.
      I will not mitigate unless it is a server.

The universe doesn't care about anyone or anything.
      You can enjoy mitigations=off but don't forget to use the old microcode as well. Some mitigations are now part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post

If you're willing to accept the tradeoffs of a highly-static microarchitecture (ie, being slower, especially on branchy code / code with a lot of dynamic memory behavior) without major speculative side-channels, feel free to join us over in Itanium Land.
        Had it not been invented/widely implemented code would have been optimized differently. The big win was running existing "branchy code". I remember when I learned ARM assembler back in the early 90s the idea was to avoid branches where possible and instead use conditional execution through predication.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

Had it not been invented/widely implemented code would have been optimized differently. The big win was running existing "branchy code". I remember when I learned ARM assembler back in the early 90s the idea was to avoid branches where possible and instead use conditional execution through predication.
          You're a perfect fit for us in EPICville! "Just rewrite your code to get ILP from predicates and elide short branches, and also hoist your memory references" is our language!

Comment

A team in India is thought to have found this first but speculatively wanted to call it GhoshtRacer.
            Last edited by kozman; 13 March 2024, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              "Linux kernel developers do not plan on implementing the researcher's proposed serialization of synchronization primitives due to performance concerns."
              That is why the fail. All of this chasing performance costs in security. Starting to look like Speculative execution should have never been invented in the first place.
              Wake me up when/if FreeBSD implements this. They were vulnerable at least for a year for some CPU security issue. I'd vote for enabling the mitigation if chances for successful remote attack are at least at 1%. Otherwise, so much CPU performance was wasted in the last years. We didn't get refunds.
              Last edited by Volta; 12 March 2024, 06:35 PM.

Comment

The gift that keeps on giving

Comment

CPU design needs to be reinvented...

Comment

sometimes I wonder if all those 'security concerns' are even valid. All those sideband attacks have been happening since the.. 90s? Noone cared, because in real world it all did not matter. But then, if you run your software on your own hardware... who cares anyway even today?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      [..]
                      The universe doesn't care about anyone or anything.
                      The universe is pure dictatorship! It has empowered itself via a big bang (at least we are told so), there are a lot of constant you can't change or vote nor have we been ask about our opinion. You can't drive as you want, always that limit of light or you need to be in a very good relationship with that nerdy space-time dude. Everything costs energy. Your are told that everything is infinit but you might never reach it. It's so frustrating ...
                      Last edited by SomeoneElse; 12 March 2024, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X