Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GhostRace Detailed - Speculative Race Conditions Affecting All Major CPUs / ISAs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostRace Detailed - Speculative Race Conditions Affecting All Major CPUs / ISAs

Phoronix: GhostRace Detailed - Speculative Race Conditions Affecting All Major CPUs / ISAs

VUSec and IBM Research Europe today announced Speculative Race Conditions (SRCs) as a as a new class of vulnerabilities where thread synchronization primitives using conditional branches can be microarchitecturally bypassed on speculative paths using a Spectre-V1 attack. The researchers have dubbed CVE-2024-2193 as GhostRace and is said to affect all major CPU vendors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate this world!

Comment

"Linux kernel developers do not plan on implementing the researcher's proposed serialization of synchronization primitives due to performance concerns."
      That is why the fail. All of this chasing performance costs in security. Starting to look like Speculative execution should have never been invented in the first place.

Comment

Sigh. It's going to end up in lfence after every other instruction soon.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          "Linux kernel developers do not plan on implementing the researcher's proposed serialization of synchronization primitives due to performance concerns."
          That is why the fail. All of this chasing performance costs in security. Starting to look like Speculative execution should have never been invented in the first place.
          Performance is important because it equates to time and energy. Yes, security is critical, but it's a balancing act.

Best estimates I could find for global datacenter energy usage was about 200 Terawatt Hours annually. If you made all of them do 1% more work for security mitigations, that's an extra 2,000 Gigawatt Hours annually. If my back of the napkin math is correct, that's enough electricity to power about 80,000 average US homes for a year.

Comment

‘Darn it! With all these here plane crashes I’m figurin’ them new-fangled high-flyin’ jet airplanes ain’t such a good ideeer!’

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I hate this world!
              You misunderstood Michael, he meant to say that GhostRace is a AAA race game running on the latest Unreal Engine. Since everybody is playing it some CPUs might be slower at running other tasks in the background. That's all it is. Have a good night and sleep well

Comment

If you're willing to accept the tradeoffs of a highly-static microarchitecture (ie, being slower, especially on branchy code / code with a lot of dynamic memory behavior) without major speculative side-channels, feel free to join us over in Itanium Land.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  I hate this world!
                  You're part of it. Secondly hatred is highly detrimental to your well-being. Thirdly, the universe doesn't care. It's soulless. It just is.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

You're part of it. Secondly hatred is highly detrimental to your well-being. Thirdly, the universe doesn't care. It's soulless. It just is.
                    I am fed up with all these vulnerabilities that appear from time to time. I bought an i7, not a 6502.
                    I will not mitigate unless it is a server.

The universe doesn't care about anyone or anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X