AMD Zen 5 Compiler Support Posted For GCC - Confirms New AVX Features & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Processor-specific tunings are a pox and cancer and should never exist on anything except purpose-built appliances that exist to do only a very specific function.

Everything else should be on -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic
    IMO, most of the benchmarks on sites like Phoronix should use generic targets, but if/when someone can safely use native tuning, it makes a lot of sense to do so.

It's only through architecture-specific tuning that the compiler can know which instruction sequences or optimizations to prefer and which to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      IMO, most of the benchmarks on sites like Phoronix should use generic targets, but if/when someone can safely use native tuning, it makes a lot of sense to do so.

It's only through architecture-specific tuning that the compiler can know which instruction sequences or optimizations to prefer and which to avoid.
      Have fun dealing with illegal instructions when copying a binary built on a one processor over to a computer running on another processor.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 13 February 2024, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Processor-specific tunings are a pox and cancer and should never exist on anything except purpose-built appliances that exist to do only a very specific function.

Everything else should be on -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic
        That's just weird. The context was a user who recompiles his own software to optimise for his platform. That's the definition of purpose built, isn't it?
        ​​​

Comment

Have fun dealing with illegal instructions when copying a binary built on a one processor over to a computer running on another processor.
          This rarely works on Linux anyway unless you have either exactly the same version of libraries or a statically built binary.

What's wrong with compiling for your hardware as long as you are aware that changing CPU to a lesser/older version might not work so good?

Comment

I know exactly what the downsides are, and I wouldn't do this in a context where I might ever want to run those binaries on a different machine, much less an older or otherwise inferior one.

Furthermore, I've got some news that sounds like it just might blow your friggin' mind! I actually have machines of multiple ISAs on my network, and I compile code on each of them! Oh noessS!!! The horror! Whatever should I do if I somehow copy over a binary executable to a machine of a different ISA??? Oh, the humanity!
            🤯 😱
            Last edited by coder; 13 February 2024, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
              This rarely works on Linux anyway unless you have either exactly the same version of libraries or a statically built binary.
              Depends. For C++ code, APIs tend not to be designed in a forward-compatible fashion. However, UNIX has a fairly rich tradition of semantic versioning and C libraries which properly implement it.

If you bring your fragile libraries with the executable (or just statically link them, license-permitting), you can be quite successful in running old binaries on a newer kernel and libc.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

What's wrong with compiling for your hardware as long as you are aware that changing CPU to a lesser/older version might not work so good?
                Good. Please rebuild your current Linux distribution entirely from scratch to target your CPU with -march=native

Comment

Good. Please rebuild your current Linux distribution entirely from scratch to target your CPU with -march=native
                  Of course. I'm using Gentoo, so that's a given.

Comment

Working...
                  X