AMD Announces Embedded+ Architecture For Ryzen Paired With Xilinx IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Embedded+ Architecture For Ryzen Paired With Xilinx IP

Phoronix: AMD Announces Embedded+ Architecture For Ryzen Paired With Xilinx IP

With Ryzen AI found in the very newest Ryzen processors, AMD began making use of IP from their acquisition of Xilinx. Today though AMD is announcing their Embedded+ Architecture that is taking the marriage of AMD and Xilinx tech much further by combining the wares onto a single PCB for new embedded applications as an integrated compute platform.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it just me or does the way that Phoronix downscale images add a lot of aliasing to the text and blur to everything else? I checked with and without RSR and with and without any Firefox zooming applied. Regardless of what I do, the images here have an overall blur with aliased fonts. I'm using a 3440x1440 monitor upscaled to 5120x2160 and everything else looks very sharp, except the images used in the articles here.

Comment

Does the Ryzen Embedded 7000 series incorporate the MS Pluton?

Comment

Found it: "Leverages an onboard AMD Secure Processor (ASP) complemented with Microsoft Pluton trusted processor module (TPM) for enhanced security".

PDF: https://www.amd.com/system/files/doc...duct-brief.pdf

Comment

How much will it cost?

How much will it cost an enduser SBC with them?

Whst are the features and capabilities of the FPGA part?

I would love a cheaper and really powerful replacement of DE10 Nano, useful for Mister. They can deal up to N64, PSX and Saturn with it. With a lot more poweful hardware, maybe even Dreamcast and use SoC hardware to do tricks (ethernet emulation, faster load times, emulate more ram and hack games, 4K GPU rendering, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            How much will it cost?

How much will it cost an enduser SBC with them?

Whst are the features and capabilities of the FPGA part?

I would love a cheaper and really powerful replacement of DE10 Nano, useful for Mister. They can deal up to N64, PSX and Saturn with it. With a lot more poweful hardware, maybe even Dreamcast and use SoC hardware to do tricks (ethernet emulation, faster load times, emulate more ram and hack games, 4K GPU rendering, etc).
            The FPGA is most likely just for I/O. it may not be big enough to implement an SoC.

This is very clearly aimed at industrial partners for whom price does not even remotely matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

The FPGA is most likely just for I/O. it may not be big enough to implement an SoC.

This is very clearly aimed at industrial partners for whom price does not even remotely matter.
              Damn. I hope someday AMD makes really useful and powerful and affordable products from Xilinx IP portfolio, not this stupid overpriced stuff.

Comment

Is there a market for over 65 W TDP embedded CPUs?

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Is it just me or does the way that Phoronix downscale images add a lot of aliasing to the text and blur to everything else? I checked with and without RSR and with and without any Firefox zooming applied.
                Yep, it's especially annoying with small texts and it doesn't help that Michael even makes screenshots from terminals, which are hardly readable and should really be a code block.

I did a short test with gimp
                scale-comp.jpg
                and it looks like the blocky appearance comes from some darkening (sRGB vs linear?) in high contrast areas, it dampens the anti aliasing effect but has no influence in bigger areas. Notice also [Puplic] and cooler fins. Also the aspect ratio seems slightly off, maybe this is the phoronix software doing some weird stuff?

If you use a monitor with low brightness like me the effect might be more noticeable but even at 120 cd/m² in sRGB mode i can see a clear difference (text looks grey compared to original).

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  Is there a market for over 65 W TDP embedded CPUs?
                  For the agriculture and medical uses they're advertising where power access typically isn't a problem, yes.

Yep, it's especially annoying with small texts and it doesn't help that Michael even makes screenshots from terminals, which are hardly readable and should really be a code block.

I did a short test with gimp

and it looks like the blocky appearance comes from some darkening (sRGB vs linear?) in high contrast areas, it dampens the anti aliasing effect but has no influence in bigger areas. Notice also [Puplic] and cooler fins. Also the aspect ratio seems slightly off, maybe this is the phoronix software doing some weird stuff?

If you use a monitor with low brightness like me the effect might be more noticeable but even at 120 cd/m² in sRGB mode i can see a clear difference (text looks grey compared to original).
                  It's the WebP settings Michael is using. If you go to other sites, like Anandtech, with these same images in PNG format they don't have the aliasing or banding/dithering issues that the Phoronix versions of these images have. You can really see it in the ODM Pre-integration slide when you zoom in on the gradient in the background.

PNG, Anandtech

WebP, Phoronix

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    It's the WebP settings Michael is using. If you go to other sites, like Anandtech, with these same images in PNG format they don't have the aliasing or banding/dithering issues that the Phoronix versions of these images have. You can really see it in the ODM Pre-integration slide when you zoom in on the gradient in the background.

PNG, Anandtech

WebP, Phoronix
                    Ohh, you can see the dithering on [Public] quite well, but that's on Anandtechs version because of the 256 color palette. But the phoronix version has a brighter background, so a wrong gamma curve might be the explanation of those weird banding issues.
                    At least Gimp doesn't do that with any compression option for webp and I got down to 25% quality setting (much less than on phoronix).

This seems to be a color space issue to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X