No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 5 8600G Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This makes me feel really good about buying and recommending 5700G recently.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      So long as people keep insisting on cranking up AA and texture details, iGPUs will never never keep up. As you have alluded to, memory bandwidth is the Achilles heel of iGPUs and those 2 settings are very demanding on VRAM (AA might not be as taxing but relative to the visual fidelity it offers, it's quite taxing on VRAM). Considering iGPUs seem to scale linearly with the fastest RAM you can throw at them, this really shows that until iGPUs get access to a large dedicated cache, people are going to have to change their expectations of what they can do. The Ryzen 8000 series is proving to be impressive but these GPUs are still starved.

Despite everything I said, I'm curious how much less starved for bandwidth the 8600G is from the 8700G.
      I have studied that so i can answer, to Michael as well. Today's Gpus need 30 times the bandwidth of their Flops, example 768 cores * 4 Instruction * 2.8Ghz = 8.5Tflops * 30x bandwidth = 255GB/s. Now there is a trick where this need is divided by two (15x) because they use eCache, so they can do 130GB/s Ram plus another such eCache. That's because for many calculations a few MB of cache are enough but for textures and stuff is not. Now Apus have less Cache vs Gpus meaning 20x Ram speed is expected, so 8.5Tflops * 20 = 170GB/s + 50GB/s for the Cpu = 220GB/s. This is 13.8Ghz dual channel memory, also the Infinity Fabric goes up to 3Ghz meaning that only 12Ghz Ram would be usable and that only if the Fabric had a (4x) 512bit Bus. So since Amd didn't provide information on that, Michael should test if the Fabric has at least 384bit Bus. That can be done with 7.2Ghz Ram ~ 2.4Ghz Fabric VS 6Ghz Ram ~ 3Ghz Fabric. Those are the news that Tech Reporters discover and not just copy paste test methods from other wrong testers. That's why 1.5x the shaders gives 1.25x the performance.

Comment

It would be nice if in the bar charts that the AMD products being reviewed had more contrast. Perhaps a tweak to PTS could be made?

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

I have studied that so i can answer, to Michael as well. Today's Gpus need 30 times the bandwidth of their Flops, example 768 cores * 4 Instruction * 2.8Ghz = 8.5Tflops * 30x bandwidth = 255GB/s. Now there is a trick where this need is divided by two (15x) because they use eCache, so they can do 130GB/s Ram plus another such eCache. That's because for many calculations a few MB of cache are enough but for textures and stuff is not. Now Apus have less Cache vs Gpus meaning 20x Ram speed is expected, so 8.5Tflops * 20 = 170GB/s + 50GB/s for the Cpu = 220GB/s. This is 13.8Ghz dual channel memory, also the Infinity Fabric goes up to 3Ghz meaning that only 12Ghz Ram would be usable and that only if the Fabric had a (4x) 512bit Bus. So since Amd didn't provide information on that, Michael should test if the Fabric has at least 384bit Bus. That can be done with 7.2Ghz Ram ~ 2.4Ghz Fabric VS 6Ghz Ram ~ 3Ghz Fabric. Those are the news that Tech Reporters discover and not just copy paste test methods from other wrong testers. That's why 1.5x the shaders gives 1.25x the performance.
          I'm in the market (still, six months later) for a friend to sit next to my 4650G.

What your saying gels with my own thoughts on the APU, which is a different set of beasts for performamce to a traditional CPU/GPU set up.

Could you possibly give a few examples of ideal hardware (APU/RAM/mobo) combinations to reinforce your point in a tangible way? Also bearing in mind the information in the first post.

And possibly using some of the above mentioned APU models like the 5700G, my own 4650G and a AM5 model for reference.

Just so I can visualise what you're saying.

PS: Shoutout to any Chileans in the line of fire; hope you're staying safe! Expect floods right after the fires...
          Hi

Comment

Does anyone know how setting the "configurable TDP" to. 45W changes the power consumption?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

I'm in the market (still, six months later) for a friend to sit next to my 4650G.

What your saying gels with my own thoughts on the APU, which is a different set of beasts for performamce to a traditional CPU/GPU set up.

Could you possibly give a few examples of ideal hardware (APU/RAM/mobo) combinations to reinforce your point in a tangible way? Also bearing in mind the information in the first post.

And possibly using some of the above mentioned APU models like the 5700G, my own 4650G and a AM5 model for reference.

Just so I can visualise what you're saying.

PS: Shoutout to any Chileans in the line of fire; hope you're staying safe! Expect floods right after the fires...
              No because the money you need to support the ram numbers and the cost of the apu match a cpu + dedicated Gpu. A good number would be a 12400f (130$) + an intel Arc a580 (180$) + DDR4_3600 (60$) +Asrock 19*19cm motherboard (60$ + 5$ nvme controller) + 2TB nvme 4gen (100$) for a good Steam library + Mini DTX case (60$) + SFF Psu 80+ (40$) + Optional PCIE4 extender (25$).

Last edited by artivision; 06 February 2024, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                Does anyone know how setting the "configurable TDP" to. 45W changes the power consumption?
                That would be interesting. How efficient the CPUs of both "teams" could be made by lowering the power target.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

No because the money you need to support the ram numbers and the cost of the apu match a cpu + dedicated Gpu. A good number would be a 12400f (130$) + an intel Arc a550 (180$) + DDR4_3600 (60$) +Asrock 19*19cm motherboard (60$ + 5$ nvme controller) + 2TB nvme 4gen (100$) for a good Steam library + Mini DTX case (60$) + SFF Psu 80+ (40$) + Optional PCIE4 extender (25$).

Fair enough.

I'm mostly not interested in dGPU's for reasons, but thanks anyway =)
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Fair enough.

I'm mostly not interested in dGPU's for reasons, but thanks anyway =)
                    6Ghz_30ns memory then with 3Ghz Fabric, 2:1 ratio. Then you try memory OC to 9Ghz_40ns with 3:1 ration. This kind of OC becomes possible on air only if you exchange for latency and the opposite as well.

DDR5 overclocking with Ryzen 8000G: It’s over 10K No exotic cooling needed.  The AMD Ryzen 8000G is gaining attention among enthusiasts for its support for high-frequency memory overclocking. Recently, overclockers managed to achieve a DDR5-10346 memory overclock with the Ryzen 7 8700G on the AORUS B650 AORUS Tachyon overclocking board. However, the ASUS OC team has […]

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                      There's a known STAPM issue with certain BIOSes and desktop Zen 4 APUs, I wonder if Michael has been affected.

Use code "STAP" for 10% off the GN store while it lasts! https://store.gamersnexus.net/ We're almost sold out of our Limited Disappointment Tour PC T-shirts!...
                      Yes, these tests are almost certainly compromised by the STAPM bug:

Comment

Working...
                      X