Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's x86_energy_perf_policy Utility Being Extended To AMD CPUs

Phoronix: Linux's x86_energy_perf_policy Utility Being Extended To AMD CPUs

For AMD Zen 2 and newer systems making use of the modern AMD P-State driver on Linux for CPU frequency scaling, ACPI Collaborative Processor Performance Control (CPPC) interface is being used. For managing the ACPI CPPC energy performance preference (EPP), Intel's x86_energy_perf_policy utility is now being extended to AMD processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know how this stuff works on zen1? I noticed my amd systems don't throttle down to a low frequency when idle, and KDE doesn't even show me the option of switching between performance/powersave. Thanks and sorry for the slight OT.

Comment

As far as I know Zen 1 doesn't support CPPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
        As far as I know Zen 1 doesn't support CPPC.
        Thanks, I was digging around some more and it seems the older acpi-cpufreq only has 3 steps, that might explain some of it, but I very rarely see my 2950x step down from 3.5 to 2.8 or 2.2. I guess it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post

Thanks, I was digging around some more and it seems the older acpi-cpufreq only has 3 steps, that might explain some of it, but I very rarely see my 2950x step down from 3.5 to 2.8 or 2.2. I guess it is what it is.
          Have you tried enabling the "conservative" governor with cpufreq? On my Zen+ 3500U part, I could lower the P2 state clock to 1Ghz (from 1.4) and set the governor to conservative and regularly see the chip idle there consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post

Is that a 2950X Threadripper? Isn't that Zen+ ? Anyway, I think that does not support CPPC either.
            How do you check if it throttles down? I use Zen 1 Threadripper and even when using performance governor, it automatically throttles frequency when idle. Can be seen in /proc/cpuinfo .

Comment

Working...
            X