Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    Windows 11 running entirely on a GPU
    It's not using the GPU at all. The VRAM is being accessed though.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post

It's not using the GPU at all. The VRAM is being accessed though.
      Look at the pics, the GPU is being used quite a bit.

But you are right the CPU is also being used.

Either way, you can't get Linux to do this.

Comment

I remember doing this when graphic cards had 256mb of memory ... search github, there are a few of these projects, so it can be done. It just doesn't make much sense ...

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

i take it you don't realize i basically described a GPU, they are fully programmable, lots of small cores, the high end models have thousands of cores, NVIDIA uses a proprietary hardware thread scheduler, I'm pretty sure AMD's and Intel's GPUs also have their own proprietary hardware thread scheduler and they have low clocks.

I want the CPU to be designed the same way, I think it would do wonders for responsiveness and smoothness and with only 100 or so cores, the power consumption would be very low.
          I don't know if you are trolling there or not, but that's a total nonsense. A small weak core would drastically reduce responsiveness and smoothness of a regular PC applications, because majority of them rely on ST performance and the remaining ones are already accelerated by the GPU or fixed function anyway, so there is no really a need for CPU to have that much cores, especially small and weak ones. For power consumption to be "very low" those hypothetical cores of yours would have to be clocked also very low to reduce the voltage on them. That would make them even more unsuitable for PC CPU as such.

Comment

Working...
          X