Hangover Aiming For RISC-V Support This Year, x86_64 Emulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing that blog post.

I guess accommodating x86(_64) emulation in your architecture would definitely be beneficial in the short term (to ease adoption), but in the long term, once x86_64 has been phased out or at least emulation for it has become less relevant, maybe such architectural decisions might end up posing bottlenecks in other ways, as the new architecture evolves further? The author himself acknowledges that possibility in the last paragraph.
    Last edited by SteamPunker; 20 January 2024, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
      Thanks for sharing that blog post.

I guess accommodating x86(_64) emulation in your architecture would definitely be beneficial in the short term (to ease adoption), but in the long term, once x86_64 has been phased out or at least emulation for it has become less relevant, maybe such architectural decisions might end up posing bottlenecks in other ways, as the new architecture evolves further? The author himself acknowledges that possibility in the last paragraph.
      honestly, with how fast fex and box86 are getting, even on lower end android socs, I don't think x86_64 emulation is even a big deal. Don't get me wrong, It's obviously going to be important for a lot of cases. But assuming the majority of your applications can run native risc-v, and for lots of people that's going to be a significantly large amount of this forum, Fex and Box86/64 are going to be fast enough for a lot of use cases. Legacy software really doesn't require much to run, and even lighter games can run on android phones. People are even playing Mass effect at 720p30 on devices with SD870.

Comment

I expect AMD's new Zen-V CPUs (name made up) will offer x86 acceleration as a distinguishing feature, making them an easy pick for the transitional phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

honestly, with how fast fex and box86 are getting, even on lower end android socs, I don't think x86_64 emulation is even a big deal. Don't get me wrong, It's obviously going to be important for a lot of cases. But assuming the majority of your applications can run native risc-v, and for lots of people that's going to be a significantly large amount of this forum, Fex and Box86/64 are going to be fast enough for a lot of use cases. Legacy software really doesn't require much to run, and even lighter games can run on android phones. People are even playing Mass effect at 720p30 on devices with SD870.
          Let's hope so. But especially in terms of having popular games work on more than just the x86_64 architecture, I suspect that solutions like Rosetta, Fex and Box86/64 will remain crucial, at least in the short to mid term.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post

Let's hope so. But especially in terms of having popular games work on more than just the x86_64 architecture, I suspect that solutions like Rosetta, Fex and Box86/64 will remain crucial, at least in the short to mid term.
            thankfully, with a lot of games themselves, gpu perf is still far more important then cpu perf. gpu is ofc covered by things like vkd3d and dxvk/wined3d

Comment

Working...
            X