Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangover Aiming For RISC-V Support This Year, x86_64 Emulation

Phoronix: Hangover Aiming For RISC-V Support This Year, x86_64 Emulation

Building off this week's release of Wine 9.0 for running Windows games and applications on Linux and other platforms is now Hangover 9.0. Hangover as a reminder is the project based on Wine initially focused on running x86 32-bit Windows apps on AArch64 Linux. Hangover works by running Wine atop various emulators such as QEMU, FEX, or Box64 for handling the processor/ISA translation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

risc-v support will be really nice, there are a lot of riscv devices ive been eyeing lately

Comment

Would love to see upcoming game consoles based on RISC-V with maybe licensed gpu IP from imagination technologies or amd

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post
        Would love to see upcoming game consoles based on RISC-V with maybe licensed gpu IP from imagination technologies or amd
        lichee has a handheld console comming based on the lichee pi4a the gpu is a 0.5 tflop vulkan 1.x compatible (officially 1.2 but I suspect drivers might be the limiting factor). The cpu is about as strong as the rpi5 iirc. at the very least it was stronger then the rpi4.

not super impressive but if they can meet the 300-400 dollar price point (the lichee console 4a is a netbook style laptop with an entry point of 350 usd for an 8gb ram 16gb storage) It could be neat as a development board,

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          The cpu is about as strong as the rpi5 iirc. at the very least it was stronger then the rpi4.
          The TH1520 SoC is similar in performance to a Pi 4, faster on some things, slower on others. Benchmark for both is around 6 SPECINt2k6/GHz.

Nowhere near a Pi 5! RISC-V machines in Pi 5 / Rock 5 / Orange Pi 5 class or better will be launching this year. SiFive's "HiFive Pro" board using Intel's Horse Creek SoC, for example, if they ever ship it. Or things using StarFIve's JH8100 SoC. Those both have CPUs in Arm A76 class: 8 SPECInt2k6/GHz.

But the biggie will be late in the year (hopefully), The Milk-V Oasis and an unnamed board from Sipeed (and maybe others) using the SG2380 SoC which has 16 (!!) SiFive P670 cores that are comparable to Arm A78 at around 12 SPECInt2k6/GHz. It will also have RISC-V Vector extension 1.0, bringing official SIMD/Vector to a usable RISC-V board for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by brucehoult View Post
            The TH1520 SoC is similar in performance to a Pi 4, faster on some things, slower on others. Benchmark for both is around 6 SPECINt2k6/GHz.
            really? from what i've seen the lichee pi4a seems to handily beat the pi 4 in most tasks, but granted I haven't looked too much into it lately, but my impression of what I saw at the time was about half way between an rpi4 and a rk3388 based soc, which fits into the comparison I made against the rpi5 below...

Nowhere near a Pi 5! RISC-V machines in Pi 5 / Rock 5 / Orange Pi 5 class or better will be launching this year. SiFive's "HiFive Pro" board using Intel's Horse Creek SoC, for example, if they ever ship it. Or things using StarFIve's JH8100 SoC. Those both have CPUs in Arm A76 class: 8 SPECInt2k6/GHz.
            isn't the rock 5 and orange pi 5 significantly faster then the rpi5? I thought I remember a few people saying it would be so

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              really? from what i've seen the lichee pi4a seems to handily beat the pi 4 in most tasks, but granted I haven't looked too much into it lately, but my impression of what I saw at the time was about half way between an rpi4 and a rk3388 based soc, which fits into the comparison I made against the rpi5 below...

isn't the rock 5 and orange pi 5 significantly faster then the rpi5? I thought I remember a few people saying it would be so
              No. The Orange and Raspberry Pi 5 are basically a wash. They trade off performance wins with each other. It will entirely depend on your use case and whether or not you want the extra versatility in the RPi5's PCI-e port not being already taken up by the Orange's NVMe port and how much RAM you want. (You can look up Michaels comparison from when the embargo was lifted as well as I can.)

Also, while there's some truth that the RISC-V has some cross ISA compatibility in mind with AMD64, they made some ISA design decisions early on that will undoubtedly hamper its efficiency and performance in emulating AMD64 - trade offs that ARM purposely didn't make, then further built on by Apple with Rosetta 2. Don't expect to play any given game designed for AMD64 on RISC-V at anywhere near what a PC can manage now or in the near future even if they eventually start building inexpensive desktop class systems capable of hosting dGPUs.

Source:

Keep in mind David Chisnall has forgotten more about ISA design and programming than anyone here outside of perhaps the few project maintainers and AMD people that occasionally opine on articles here.
              Last edited by stormcrow; 18 January 2024, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                No. The Orange and Raspberry Pi 5 are basically a wash. They trade off performance wins with each other. It will entirely depend on your use case and whether or not you want the extra versatility in the RPi5's PCI-e port not being already taken up by the Orange's NVMe port and how much RAM you want. (You can look up Michaels comparison from when the embargo was lifted as well as I can.)
                Interesting, I stand corrected then, I never meant to imply the soc better then it was, I just legitimately thought the RPI5 was worse then it actually seems to be. Either way, at least from what I can see other post, when you compile a program with at least some of the optimizations the lichee pi4a should at least be a decent amount faster on CPU, but the GPU is the big kicker anyways for a lot of uses cases

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                  David has opinions, sure. But that doesn't mean he's right about everything.

See e.g. posts from brucehoult in this discussion: https://lobste.rs/s/v8xovv/how_design_isa

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

David has opinions, sure. But that doesn't mean he's right about everything.

See e.g. posts from brucehoult in this discussion: https://lobste.rs/s/v8xovv/how_design_isa
                    David is certainly an illustrious young guy with a great resume. But, yeah, he has his biases and preconceptions and doesn't get every detail right. Neither do I!

I'm glad if someone finds my comments valuable.

Comment

Working...
                    X