No announcement yet.

Linux On IBM Z "s390" To See ~11% Higher Syscall Entry Performance On Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux On IBM Z "s390" To See ~11% Higher Syscall Entry Performance On Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Linux On IBM Z "s390" To See ~11% Higher Syscall Entry Performance On Linux 6.8

For those interested in Linux on IBM Z / s390, there's a small change yielding measurable benefits to the s390 system call entry performance with the forthcoming Linux 6.8 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be kind of neat to see a benchmark of ancient kernel versions compared to the latest and greatest. Get 2.0, 2.4, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0... See what they can even run, and bench the tests that work.

Comment

it is rather sad how systematically comments of hard working open source developers the platform does not like are being systematically deleted on this forum.
      Last edited by rene; 17 January 2024, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I'll continue to post a link to my work keeping s390x Mainframe Linux compiling until is is no longer being deleted anymore: http://tinyurl.com/yhnuhhmx

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          it is rather sad how systematically comments of hard working open source developers the platform does not like are being systematically deleted on this forum.
          What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

What are you talking about?
            that links to my YT live stream of my work fixing regression or implementing or porting new things of all this stuff including s390x, but also powerpc, riscv, etc. are very often deleted here. The link above was deleted 3 times today. Always whining about stuff being fixed years later in the news, but when people actually working their open source life post comments they are deleted. Wonderful open source community world.

Comment

Maybe Michael is afraid of competitors? I don't get it.

Trolls proliferate a lot here.

That is very unfortunate and unjust. I agree with you, it’s a real issue.

Could you please give some specific examples or sources of this issue? I am interested to know more about it and see if there is any solution or recourse.

I have done some research on Phoronix and its forum moderation, and I found some interesting results.

Some users have claimed that their comments or posts have been deleted, edited, or moderated by the Phoronix forum staff without proper explanation or notification.

Others have also accused the Phoronix forum staff of being biased, unfair, or abusive.

Others have also criticized or defended the Phoronix website and its owner, Michael Larabel, for various reasons.

I don't get why this is done and nothing is done to control trolls. Trolls are an extremely big problem in Phoronix. They often post inflammatory, off-topic, or misleading messages to provoke or annoy other users. They also tend to derail the discussion from the original topic or article. I think the moderators should do a better job of enforcing the rules and banning the trolls.

I think there’s a dark theory that trolls provoke controversies that make massive replies from others, quantity over quality. But many Phoronix users get burnt out by this constant negativity and drama.

Healthy online communities are good for everyone. They can help us feel supported, connected, and resilient. They can also help the owners earn more money by keeping us loyal, engaged, and satisfied.​

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Maybe Michael is afraid of competitors? I don't get it.

Trolls proliferate a lot here.

That is very unfortunate and unjust. I agree with you, it’s a real issue.

Could you please give some specific examples or sources of this issue? I am interested to know more about it and see if there is any solution or recourse.

I have done some research on Phoronix and its forum moderation, and I found some interesting results.

Some users have claimed that their comments or posts have been deleted, edited, or moderated by the Phoronix forum staff without proper explanation or notification.

Others have also accused the Phoronix forum staff of being biased, unfair, or abusive.

Others have also criticized or defended the Phoronix website and its owner, Michael Larabel, for various reasons.

I don't get why this is done and nothing is done to control trolls. Trolls are an extremely big problem in Phoronix. They often post inflammatory, off-topic, or misleading messages to provoke or annoy other users. They also tend to derail the discussion from the original topic or article. I think the moderators should do a better job of enforcing the rules and banning the trolls.

I think there’s a dark theory that trolls provoke controversies that make massive replies from others, quantity over quality. But many Phoronix users get burnt out by this constant negativity and drama.

Healthy online communities are good for everyone. They can help us feel supported, connected, and resilient. They can also help the owners earn more money by keeping us loyal, engaged, and satisfied.​
                I'm not competition and Phoenix is pushing their links all over the internet to boost page views from /. to all kinds of forums and sites daily what looks to me to a highly automated process.

That being said, it should be pretty obvious that Phoronix does not meet professional journalist reporting standards, and is usually expressing their personal opinion in the articles and giving them a rather positive or negative coloring accordingly.

I have not followed what other comments are deleted, for me it hast ben pretty systemically links to my yt videos matching the topic. Sometimes they sticked after re-posting a 2nd or 3rd time.
                Last edited by rene; 17 January 2024, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I'll continue to post a link to my work keeping s390x Mainframe Linux compiling until is is no longer being deleted anymore: http://tinyurl.com/yhnuhhmx
                  I've never known Michael to be unfair or arbitrary in deleting posts or banning forum members. In fact he seems to go to great lengths to allow vibrant, free, and equitable discussions of all things Linux.

I have seen people who become uncivil and begin personally insulting and defaming others, or those attempting to forward their commercial interests, reprimanded or banned however.

As for your link, I would simply email Michael and ask him why your posts were deleted. I remember a year or so ago when the automated filters disallowed a few of my posts, and after emailing Michael and inquiring about it he explained that at times the filters made mistakes, and within minutes my posts appeared. And it appears he worked on adjusting their sensitivity as I haven't had any problems for quite awhile.

By the way, I viewed your link and the only possible problem I saw was a typical request for others to support your work. In any case I think your link is fine, and don't mind requests for donations to open source projects or work. However I'm not fully aware of what's going on, or what the Phoronix link posting policy is.

So as I said I would ask Michael what the issue is before attacking him and accusing him of some type of malfeasance. And then if you believe the reasons given are unreasonable let others on the forums know in a civil fashion.
                  Last edited by muncrief; 17 January 2024, 02:32 PM.

Comment

rene
                    From what I've seen, Michael doesn't delete posts for no reason. You can badmouth him, ruin community morale, express extremist political views, and reference other review articles, and he won't censor you. As mentioned above, he's a little too lenient at times, where the only people who were censored had their accounts deleted because they were a constant nuisance (birdie, debianxfce, and starshipeleven were the greatest offenders I can think of). I personally don't recall you doing anything to warrant deleted posts, even on more strict forums, so it's a little confusing to me why your content would be deleted.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 17 January 2024, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X