Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Intel Arrow Lake CPUs To Feature Revised Xe LPG+ Graphics IP

Phoronix: Some Intel Arrow Lake CPUs To Feature Revised Xe LPG+ Graphics IP

The Intel engineers enabling next-generation Arrow Lake processors for Linux have largely been just adding new device IDs and other mostly minor changes over current Meteor Lake processors. It was that way too for Arrow Lake's integrated graphics with largely re-using existing Meteor Lake graphics support, but now it's come to light that select Arrow Lake SKUs will feature updated graphics IP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm guessing probably laptop SKUs?

Comment

I'm really hoping Intel releases desktop parts with the full fat iGPU as a competitor to the 8700G with the nice 780M iGPU from AMD. So far the desktop parts have cut down deeply on EUs. Maybe with them finally moving to their 7nm node they can make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        I'm guessing probably laptop SKUs?
        Since Intel is launching both Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake in 2024, the best explanation I've heard is that Arrow Lake will be aimed at desktop (and probably high-end laptops), while Lunar Lake is probably going for mainstream + thin & light laptops.

Now that Intel has embraced "tiles" (i.e. chiplets), I expect to see some common tiles between both products. Not the CPU tiles or apparently even the graphics tiles, however.

Comment

So not only did Meteor Lake release late and even then not have the 'Battlemage' graphics it was supposed to, but Arrow Lake won't either? Intel's graphics effort is going in the wrong direction timewise. At this rate, 'Battlemage' is going to release two years late just like 'Alchemist' did... and only integrated even then.

If Intel can't find a way to make up ground against AMD and Nvidia, they can forget discreet graphics, and the entire Xe effort will have amounted to simply staying relevent in laptop while spending far too much money for that return.

Comment

Working...
          X