Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

How about reading the article?

"The Vulkan renderer will work with any Vulkan version while the new OpenGL code targets OpenGL 3.3+ and OpenGL ES 3.0+".
    I did, but maybe I wasn’t fully awake at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

flutter relies on the GTK 3 version shipped with with the distro
      Yep. So what I said: They aren't getting any of the performance improvements in years.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        is it for new gen of gnome, or will it apply to current stable one?
        Or can only affect apps that are built with the new GTK version. So for Gnome you'll need to wait for the Gnome release for this to be used. But then it will only be for for the Gnome apps of that version. So for every other app, they will still use the old renderers unless they update to that upcoming GTK version - or to GTK4 at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Or can only affect apps that are built with the new GTK version. So for Gnome you'll need to wait for the Gnome release for this to be used. But then it will only be for for the Gnome apps of that version. So for every other app, they will still use the old renderers unless they update to that upcoming GTK version - or to GTK4 at all.
          Not strictly true. For system apps, packaged as rpm, deb or pacman style systems, any gtk4 app will benefit once the swithc flipping the default renderer is pressed (which hasnt been yet - it is still experimental).

For flatpak, snap or App Image like formats, they will stick to the version of gtk4 they are shipping in their app/runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Not strictly true. For system apps, packaged as rpm, deb or pacman style systems, any gtk4 app will benefit once the swithc flipping the default renderer is pressed (which hasnt been yet - it is still experimental).

For flatpak, snap or App Image like formats, they will stick to the version of gtk4 they are shipping in their app/runtime.
            That's true, yes. But I don't have any experience if any distro ships Gnome and a newer GTK version than the one this specific version was meant to run with. For all non-gnome apps that would be definetely true though. At least when they are ported to GTK4, which many still aren't.

Comment

like I said, I don't think the majority of flutter developers even care about the preformance issue as I've said, some for sure do, the big performance bump I mentioned a while ago was from a flutter developer the PR was merged and like I said, it was a little nice performance bump. And there have been other contributions, but in general, I don't think any major work is being done, because no one cares about about linux desktop users.
              But when it comes to flutter perf, when GDK gets a perf bump, it effects flutter, it's not always a 1:1, but yes, GDK perf increases = Flutter perf increases
              this is not the case if flutter use GTK3 and all the gnome staff work on GTK4...

i know its silly because project like GIMP port their GTK2 app to GTK3 and Blender 3 is not even released with GTK3 support.

what you demand is more performance for GTK3 but they already did abolish GTK3 and all work on GTK4...
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Please learn the meaning of word “joke” instead of taking someone's post too seriously.
                s/joke/troll/

Comment

why would they bother? linux is such an insignificant market for them, I doubt very many flutter apps have paying customers outside of the embedded linux
                  As I recall, Ubuntu has decided Flutter is the cat's meow (at least for their installer and their new Ubuntu store, but those are not exactly performance critical).

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

As I recall, Ubuntu has decided Flutter is the cat's meow (at least for their installer and their new Ubuntu store, but those are not exactly performance critical).
                    I certainly hope it will help, and maybe it will, but in the end the only sizable market for flutter on linux is embedded/automotive which is served by the sony's flutter-elinux stuff

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Flutter isn't even available in Arch Linux repos, so it sure looks like nothing worthwhile has been built on top of Flutter yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X