Intel Core Ultra 7 Meteor Lake vs. AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core Ultra 7 Meteor Lake vs. AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme Performance

Phoronix: Intel Core Ultra 7 Meteor Lake vs. AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme Performance

In recent days there have been leaks about an MSI "CLAW" gaming handheld device set to be announced this coming week at CES in Las Vegas. Making this gaming handheld device interesting is that unlike the Valve Steam Deck and ASUS ROG Ally or Legion Go, it's expected to be the first handheld featuring an Intel Meteor Lake SoC. In particular, the recently launched Intel Core Ultra 7 155H. For those curious about what the performance is likely to roughly be in comparison to the AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme, here are some benchmarks looking at the performance of these competing SoCs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, for power efficiency (perf/W), the Ryzen wins which makes it the better portable gaming device. For plugged in absolute performance, the Ryzen with the perf setting wins most of the time making it the better docked gaming device. The Intel wins on high price and high power consumption--if those are things you're trying to optimize for.....

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
      So, for power efficiency (perf/W), the Ryzen wins which makes it the better portable gaming device. For plugged in absolute performance, the Ryzen with the perf setting wins most of the time making it the better docked gaming device. The Intel wins on high price and high power consumption--if those are things you're trying to optimize for.....
      Depends... kind of.

Ryzen looks good in anything opengl related mostly and in CPU benchmarks.

But what matters for gamer is vulkan (and in windows dx11/dx12 performance). And in Vulkan tests Intel looks actually either better then AMD or on par. That being said number of vulkan tests is very limited so Micheal please add more games with proton layer to your tests.

Comment

yeap it would be nice to see some more games in these kind of benchmarks. i don't really trust these synthetic benchmarks
        proton or native games (if any) AAA. i remember that Michael has a few games.

edit: but that intel cpu is so promising considering also the very low power consumption it can reach in idle
        Last edited by loganj; 07 January 2024, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Can someone explain something to me?

The ASUS ROG Ally comes with Windows 11:

Experience AAA gaming in the palm of your hands with the ROG Ally handheld gaming console. The ROG Ally delivers incredible portable gaming performance anywhere you go.

Near I can tell most of these types of gaming devices come with Windows installed, and there's a high probability that the MSI "CLAW" will come with Windows 11 preinstalled.

MSI handheld leaked MSI to compete with ASUS and Lenovo with a brand-new handheld.  MSI CLAW, Source: @wnxod Less than 24 hours since MSI’s first teaser on social media and we now have a picture, name, and full specs of the upcoming device. This gaming handheld is called CLAW, and it will be powered by […]

So who exactly is going to spend money buying a device designed as a Windows 11 gaming device and install any other OS on it?

It would be stupid to install Win 10 on it, much less Linux.

And for the record, if it comes with Ubuntu preinstalled, it would be stupid to replace that with Win 11 or Fedora or Mint or whatever.

The machine is designed to play games as it is sold, I see no reason to mess with that.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Experience AAA gaming in the palm of your hands with the ROG Ally handheld gaming console. The ROG Ally delivers incredible portable gaming performance anywhere you go.

Near I can tell most of these types of gaming devices come with Windows installed, and there's a high probability that the MSI "CLAW" will come with Windows 11 preinstalled.

MSI handheld leaked MSI to compete with ASUS and Lenovo with a brand-new handheld.  MSI CLAW, Source: @wnxod Less than 24 hours since MSI’s first teaser on social media and we now have a picture, name, and full specs of the upcoming device. This gaming handheld is called CLAW, and it will be powered by […]

So who exactly is going to spend money buying a device designed as a Windows 11 gaming device and install any other OS on it?

And for the record, if it comes with Ubuntu preinstalled, it would be stupid to replace that with Win 11 or Fedora or Mint or whatever.

The machine is designed to play games as it is sold, I see no reason to mess with that.
            It's interesting both for academic reasons (eg. roughly how fast would a Steam Deck be if it used these chips), as well as for the potential of installing a handheld-focused Linux distro on them (eg Chinera, HoloISO or the official SteamOS 3 image in [Valve Time™️] years), which can realistically offer a better user experience than the Windows + handheld shell + Joy2Mouse setups these things are shipping with.

Comment

sophisticles reason? simple: why not? since its possible why not trying?

Comment

you are right the majority will not do it. then a big part of the minority who do it only do it for testing purposes.
                the rationality for the rest who do it not only for testing could be that linux of course gives better performance on the cpu side.

and from my experience from supporting windows 10/11 people there is a possibility that people want linux to play old games
                for example i could proof to one i suported that SIMS2 runs easily on linux with lutris but could not run with windows 10.

i also had friends who had to make the decision between AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme with windows pre-installed and Valve Steam deck with linux pre-installed they all did choose the steam deck OLED edition...

it really looks like the monopole of microsoft with windows is over.

in my point of view the MSI "CLAW" and ASUS ROG Ally with windows pre installed are not really competition to Valve Steam Deck.

and the reason is always in the details with steam deck you plain and simple have the better software support

microsoft maybe supports the Operating system.... but valve with HoloOS supports the complete stack from the game in the steam store to the OS to even the browser,,. microsoft with the closed source ecosystem plain and simple can not do this
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Everyone here except you. You're at a site with people that'd install Linux to their oven or dishwasher for new sound tones if someone ever cracks the Samsung appliance firmware...I've never looked that up to see if it's possible, but it's something that we'd do.

Have you ever used Ubuntu? That's reason enough to swap it out. Jokes aside, I think it's great that there's a choice of operating systems to choose from so people can pick what works for their needs.

The machine is designed to do X so Imma have it do Y is the Marvel origin story of FOSS and Linux. Take these, Steam Decks, etc, while they might be designed to play games, they're also small, portable PCs with built-in analog and 3D precision controls that can control a wide array of hardware. For example, a lot of drones use laptops and Xbox controllers and these devices are laptops combined with an Xbox-compatible controller. They use Xbox controllers because it's easy to teach people on hardware they're familiar with using.

Anywhere game controllers and PCs or laptops are used to control real life devices like drones, bomb bots, rectal cameras, security cameras, farm equipment, cars, and all sorts of neat things, handheld gaming devices can be used as a replacement or alternative...allow your doctor to play a really shitty, uncomfortable version of Portal.

Or they could just lock down the devices so they can only be used for ASUS or Valve designated purposes and not what you actually want it to do like with an Android or iPhone.

Comment

For specs on the Z1 Extreme, here's what I've found:

What I find impressive is that the ASUS ROG Ally allegedly also uses LPDDR5. I've seen some speculation that LPDDR5 is a factor in Meteor Lake's lackluster performance (due to higher latency), so it's interesting if these benchmarks have parity on that front.

Edit: removed the part about Zen 4C cores, which apparently doesn't apply to the "Extreme" Z1. Thanks to X_m7 for the correction.
                    Last edited by coder; 07 January 2024, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X