Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sophgo SG2380 RISC-V SoC To Now Support Up To 96GB RAM, Additional PCIe & 25 GbE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sophgo SG2380 RISC-V SoC To Now Support Up To 96GB RAM, Additional PCIe & 25 GbE

Phoronix: Sophgo SG2380 RISC-V SoC To Now Support Up To 96GB RAM, Additional PCIe & 25 GbE

Back in October the Milk-V Oasis mITX board was announced with this RISC-V board being powered by a 16-core Sophgo SG2380 SoC featuring SiFive-designed cores: 12 P cores and four E cores. While that Milk-V Oasis board isn't expected to ship until Q3'2024, Milk-V shared this week that the SG2380 RISC-V SoC has been revised with additional capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I doubt it's going to be a super affordable machine now, but he, if they are even remotely close to their original estimate this will be one monster of an soc

Comment

To build on Quackdoc 's comment:

The devil will be in the details of the physical part. 96 GiB is a reasonably possible limit, but I'm willing to bet you're most likely to see 16 GiB, 32 GiB, and 64 GiB variants in the wild. Just the same, the details of its openness and performance remain to be seen. It's not enough to be new, it also has to bring significant advantages over current architectures beyond being royalty free to have a chance in supplanting the current incumbents Arm and x86.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

The devil will be in the details of the physical part. 96 GiB is a reasonably possible limit, but I'm willing to bet you're most likely to see 16 GiB, 32 GiB, and 64 GiB variants in the wild. Just the same, the details of its openness and performance remain to be seen. It's not enough to be new, it also has to bring significant advantages over current architectures beyond being royalty free to have a chance in supplanting the current incumbents Arm and x86.
        it seems to have 12x16bit memory lines. So more expect 96GB, 48GB, 24GB, 12GB variants in wild. Of course you could use less memory lines, (especially in classic DDR config) but it would be performance loss. Having 12x16 bit is really really good memory speed, especially for iGPU on board, the only problem I see is they are using A series Imagination technology GPU, not B serie that is newer and faster.

The memory speed could be really really sick with LPDDR5 and 12 memory channels.
        Last edited by piotrj3; 17 December 2023, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

it seems to have 12x16bit memory lines. So more expect 96GB, 48GB, 24GB, 12GB variants in wild. Of course you could use less memory lines, (especially in classic DDR config) but it would be performance loss. Having 12x16 bit is really really good memory speed, especially for iGPU on board, the only problem I see is they are using A series Imagination technology GPU, not B serie that is newer and faster.

The memory speed could be really really sick with LPDDR5 and 12 memory channels.
          Im just hoping they can manage to utilize lpcamm​ so we can buy the lower end version and upgrade it later, the release for lpcamm and the oasis seems like they may be too close together though. I wouldn't mind a couple month delay if it means lpcamm support

Comment

They spelled Android wrong in their info material lol

Comment

Working...
            X